Personal Income Tax deadline extended
Personal income tax returns and payments due April 15, 2020 will now be due July 15, 2020. Visit TIR 20-4 for more information.
Massachusetts taxpayers have many e-file options available to choose from – including free filing options (certain restrictions may apply). Check below to see if you qualify to file your federal and state returns for free. It’s important that you use the links on this page to connect you to the free software options.
Please note that the Massachusetts Department of Revenue does not endorse or recommend any particular tax preparation software.
Also, check out Fillable Forms — another free option for Massachusetts taxpayers to file a personal income tax return. If you have a completed federal tax return, were a Massachusetts resident for all of the previous tax year and the forms you file are supported by the program; you will qualify for this option.
FreeTaxUSA® Free File Edition offers free federal and Massachusetts online income tax preparation and e-file if:
- Your federal adjusted gross income (AGI) was $36,000 or less, or
- You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, or
- You were active duty military in 2019 with a federal AGI of $69,000 or less.
The FreeTaxUSA Free File site must be accessed through this link: https://www.freetaxusa.com/freefile/
IRS Free File program delivered by H&R Block
H&R Block will be participating in the MA Free File program for tax year 2019.
Criteria for Free File:
- Your federal adjusted gross income for 2019 was $69,000 or less and you were between the ages of 17 and 51 as of December 31, 2019; or
- You are active duty military with adjusted gross income of $69,000 or less; or
- You are eligible for the federal earned income credit (also known as the earned income tax credit, or EITC).
IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax
Free federal and state tax returns and tax extensions if your adjusted gross income is $36,000 or less, or you are active duty military with an adjusted gross income of $69,000 or less (including Reservists and National Guard), or you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit. Get a jump start on your taxes today, download your W2 and transfer prior year TurboTax data with America's #1 best-selling tax preparation product.
Intuit TurboTax is proud to sponsor IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, donating free Federal and State tax returns and tax extensions nationwide for:
• Any taxpayer with Adjusted Gross Income of $36,000 or less
• Any Active Duty Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $69,000 or less (including Reservists and National Guard)
• Any taxpayer eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
• Accuracy & Simplicity: Download your W2 and transfer prior year TurboTax data
Qualified taxpayers can prepare and e-file their federal and state return online for FREE, including tax extensions, with America's #1 best-selling tax preparation product year after year.
Online Taxes at OLT.com
Online Taxes at OLT.com would like to offer free federal and free state online tax preparation and e-filing if your Federal Adjusted Gross Income is between $14,000 and $69,000 regardless of age.
Activity Duty Military with adjusted gross income of $69,000 or less will also qualify.
The OLT Free File website must be accessed through the link above.
- Adjusted Gross Income of $59,000 or less, and
- Age 56 or younger, or
- Eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit, or
- Active Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $69,000 or less
You may be eligible to have your return prepared for you for free or at a low cost, by visiting a local VITA, AARP or Low Income Tax Clinic. Requirements for each location vary. You can visit the sites below to find your nearest location and eligibility information:
Page updated: April 6, 2020