Massachusetts joined the FreeFile Alliance to increase free tax filing options for taxpayers in Massachusetts. If you qualify to file your federal and state returns for free, it’s important that you use the links on this page
Please note that the Massachusetts Department of Revenue does not endorse or recommend any particular tax preparation software.
1040.com offers a free federal and state tax return if:
- You're age 52 or younger and
- Made $60,000 or less.
You also qualify for a free tax return if you're
- Eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit or
- An active duty military member making $64,000 or less.
1040Now is free for federal and Massachusetts preparation and e-file if:
- You're a resident of Massachusetts.
- Your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is less than $32,000 or less.
The offer is limited to 3 free tax returns per computer.
FreeTaxUSA® Free File Edition
FreeTaxUSA® Free File Edition offers free federal and Massachusetts online income tax preparation and e-file if:
- Your federal adjusted gross income (AGI) was $51,000 or less, and
- You were 17-61 years old as of December 31, 2017.
You also qualify if you were active duty military with a federal AGI of $66,000 or less.
H&R Block Free File
H&R Block Free File is available to you if:
- Your federal AGI for 2017 was $66,000 or less and
- You do or don't qualify for EITC
- You were active duty military in 2017
- You were between the ages of 17-50 (as of December 31, 2017)
Intuit TurboTax Freedom Edition
Intuit’s TurboTax Freedom Edition is free for federal and Massachusetts returns if:
- You have a federal AGI of $33,000 or less
- You are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- You are active duty military and have a federal AGI less than $66,000.
For accuracy and simplicity, download your W2 and transfer prior year TurboTax data.
OnLine Taxes at OLT.com offers free federal and Massachusetts online tax preparation and e-filing if:
- Your federal AGI is between $14,000 and $66,000 and
- You are an activity Duty Military with adjusted gross income of $66,000 or less will also qualify.
TaxAct Free File
TaxAct Free File provides free federal and Massachusetts returns if:
- You are age 56 or younger with an adjusted gross income of $53,000 or less or
- You are eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit or
- You are active military with a federal AGI of $66,000 or less.