Updated February 1, 2021. Please continue to check back for updated tax-year 2020 filing options available to personal income filers — including free e-file.
Massachusetts taxpayers have many e-file options available to choose from – including free filing options (certain restrictions may apply). Check below to see if you qualify to file your federal and state returns for free. It’s important that you use the links on this page to connect you to the free software options.
Please note that the Massachusetts Department of Revenue does not endorse or recommend any particular tax preparation software.
Also, check out Fillable Forms — another free option for Massachusetts taxpayers to file a personal income tax return. If you have a completed federal tax return, were a Massachusetts resident for all of the previous tax year and the forms you file are supported by the program; you will qualify for this option.
1040NOW Online Tax Preparation and Filing
Free federal and MA tax preparation & e-file for all who live in MA with an Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) of $32,000 or less. This offer is limited to three (3) free tax returns per computer.
IRS Free File program delivered by TaxSlayer
- 72k AGI or Less and Age 51 years old or younger
- OR qualify for EITC
- OR Active duty military with 72k AGI or less
IRS Free File Program delivered by turbotax
Website URL https://freefile.intuit.com/
Intuit TurboTax is proud to sponsor IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, donating free Federal and State tax returns nationwide for:
• Taxpayers with Adjusted Gross Income of $39,000 or less
• Active Duty Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $72,000 or less (including Reservists and National Guard)
• Taxpayers eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
• Accuracy & Simplicity: Download your W2 and transfer prior year TurboTax data
Qualified taxpayers can prepare and e-file their federal and state return online for FREE, with America's #1 best-selling tax preparation product year after year."
OLT Online Taxes
Online Taxes at OLT.com would like to offer free federal and free state online tax preparation and e-filing if your Federal Adjusted Gross Income is between $16,000 and $72,000 regardless of age.
Activity Duty Military with adjusted gross income of $72,000 or less will also qualify.
The OLT Free File website must be accessed through the link above.
IRS Free File Program Delivered by TaxAct®
- Adjusted Gross Income of $63,000 or less, and
- Age 56 or younger, or
- Eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit, or
- Active Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $72,000 or less