Massachusetts taxpayers have many e-file options available to choose from – including free filing options (certain restrictions may apply). Check below to see if you qualify to file your federal and state returns for free. It’s important that you use the links on this page to connect you to the free software options.
Please note that the Massachusetts Department of Revenue does not endorse or recommend any particular tax preparation software.
Also, check out Fillable Forms (available beginning in January 2020) — a new free option for Massachusetts taxpayers to file a personal income tax return. If you have a completed federal tax return, were a Massachusetts resident for all of the previous tax year and the forms you file are supported by the program; you will qualify for this option.
FreeTaxUSA® Free File Edition
FreeTaxUSA® Free File Edition offers free federal and Massachusetts online income tax preparation and e-file if:
- Your federal adjusted gross income was $35,000 or less, or
- You qualify for the federal Earned Income Tax Credit, or
- You were active duty military with a federal adjusted gross income of $66,000 or less.
Online Taxes at OLT.com offers free federal and Massachusetts online tax preparation and e-filing if:
- Your federal AGI is between $14,000 and $66,000 regardless of age
- You are an Active Duty Military with adjusted gross income of $66,000 or less.
Intuit TurboTax Free File Program
Intuit’s TurboTax Free File Program is free for federal and Massachusetts returns for:
- Any taxpayer with Adjusted Gross Income of $34,000 or less
- Any Active Duty Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $66,000 or less (including Reservists and National Guard)
- Any taxpayer eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
For accuracy and simplicity, download your W2 and transfer prior year TurboTax data.
ezTaxReturn.com offers all Massachusetts taxpayers who qualify for the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) a free federal and Massachusetts state tax return.
TaxAct Free File
TaxAct Free File offers free federal and Massachusetts returns if you:
- Have Adjusted Gross Income of $55,000 or less, and
- Are Age 56 or younger, or
- Are Eligible for Earned Income Tax Credit, or
- Are Active Military with Adjusted Gross Income of $66,000 or less.
You may be eligible to have your return prepared for you for free or at a low cost, by visiting a local VITA, AARP or Low Income Tax Clinic. Requirements for each location vary. You can visit the sites below to find your nearest location and eligibility information: