related to

Find out who’s eligible to change their name

Determine if you're eligible for a name change.

You can file for a name change in Massachusetts if you’re 18 years or older and want to legally change your name. Parents or guardians can file to change their minor child’s name.

Parents or guardians have the right to change their child’s name if they’re under 18 years old. If parents or guardians can’t agree on a child’s name, the court will decide based on the best interest of the child.

You should generally file for a name change at the Probate and Family Court in the county where you live. If you’re looking to change the name of a minor who is the subject of a pending proceeding in the Juvenile Court, you can file for a name change in that Juvenile Court.

The Probate and Family Court doesn't handle name changes related to getting married. To learn how to change your name after getting married, please see Getting Married in Massachusetts.