Eligibility for the GIC Dental and Vision Plan
The GIC Dental/Vision Plan is for state employees who are not covered by collective bargaining or do not have another Dental and/or Vision Plan through the Commonwealth. The plan primarily covers managers, Legislators, Legislative staff, and certain Executive Office staff. Employees of authorities, municipalities, higher education, and the Judicial Trial Court system are not eligible for GIC Dental/Vision coverage.
During Annual Enrollment or within 60 days of a qualifying status change, eligible employees may enroll in GIC Dental/Vision benefits, and change their dental product selection.
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (MetLife) is the carrier for the dental portion of the GIC Dental/Vision Plan.
There are two dental product options:
- The PPO Product (also known as the MetLife Value Plan), and
- The Indemnity Product (also known as the MetLife Classic Plan).
Both products include MetLife’s network of dentists and offer the following in-network benefits:
- 100% coverage for preventive and diagnostic services
- 80% coverage for basic services, such as root canals and extractions
- 50% coverage for major services, such as dental implants
- The lifetime orthodontic maximum is $1,500
- The annual per-person calendar year maximum is $1,500 for in-network claims and $1,250 for out-of-network claims
Weigh Your Dental Plan Options
With either dental insurance product, if you use MetLife’s network of participating dentists, you will be able to take advantage of negotiated fees, even after you have exceeded your annual maximum.
The GIC recommends that you check to see whether you and/or your dependents receive all of your dental care from a participating MetLife dentist:
- PPO Product (MetLife Value): If you and/or your dependents receive all of your care from a participating MetLife dentist, this product will help you save on monthly premium costs and will also usually result in lower out-of-pocket costs. However, if you are in the PPO (MetLife Value) product and you go out of network, you will need to satisfy a $100 deductible and the benefit levels are slightly lower.
- Indemnity Product (MetLife Classic): If you and/or your dependents intend to not visit participating dentists, choosing this plan will provide higher beneft levels, but at a higher monthly premium cost.
Keep in mind that once you choose a dental product, you may not change products until the next Annual Enrollment, even if your dentist leaves the network during the year.
Contact Metlife for a list of participating dentists, frequency of covered services, and out-of-network benefits.
Davis Vision is the vision provider for the vision portion of the GIC Dental/Vision Plan. This product offers a preferred provider network of almost 2,100 Massachusetts providers, with additional providers across the country. Members receive basic services every 24 months (age 19-60) or every 12 months (age 18 or under and 61 or over) at no cost:
- Routine eye examinations
- Fashion and designer frames
- Scratch-resistant lens coating
Premier collection frames are covered at any of the almost 700 nationwide Visionworks® stores with no copay. Non-plan frames are covered up to $149.95 at Visionworks®.
Enhanced materials and services at all preferred providers are covered at 100% after a copay. Members can also take advantage of Davis Vision discounts on additional eyewear. When members do not use a preferred provider, they are reimbursed according to a fixed schedule of benefits
Vision Benefit Questions?
Contact Davis Vision for co-payment amounts, participating providers, and discount programs.
Davis Vision (client code 7852) 1-800-650-2466