The following medical providers are authorized to return a student athlete to return to play after he or she has completed a graduated return to play plan:
- A duly licensed physician;
- A duly licensed athletic trainer in consultation with a licensed physician;
- A duly licensed nurse practitioner in consultation with a licensed physician;
- A duly licensed physician assistant under the supervision of a licensed physician; or
- A duly licensed neuropsychologist in coordination with the physician managing the student’s recovery.
Materials for clinicians
Medical Providers should use this Medical Clearance Form (or schools can develop their own school-based equivalent that should contain at a minimum the same elements as this form):
- Post Sports-Related Head Injury Medical Clearance and Authorization Form (PDF, English)
- Post Sports-Related Head Injury Medical Clearance and Authorization Form (DOC, English)
Spanish and Portuguese versions the Medical Clearance Form are available in the additional resources below.
School Health Institute for Education and Leadership Development (SHIELD) at Boston University School of Public Health (BUSPH): SHIELD offers innovative educational programs and leadership opportunities for school nurses and school health professionals:
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org