Consumers in Massachusetts may go to ratereview.healthcare.gov to view easy-to-access, consumer-friendly disclosure information explaining proposed increases that are 10 percent or higher than last year’s rates. Further background information can be found here: Rate Review Data. Consumers will see a summary of the key factors driving rate increases and an explanation provided by insurance companies for why the proposed increase is needed.
If you would like to submit a comment on a proposed rate increase, please send an email to HCAB.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lists of Available Coverages
Find information on available plan options and purchasing insurance as an individual or for/part of a group.
- Limited Regional or Tiered Network Health Benefit Plans
- Coverages Available for Individuals and Small Groups effective on or after January 1, 2018
- Group Products and Plans
- Individual Products and plans
Keeping Coverage after Leaving Employment
State and federal laws allow employees to be a part of a previous employer's health plan after separation of employment, often referred to as "COBRA".
Consumer Resources on Coverages
Information on Coverages and Benefits
Find Information from estimating care costs, to benefits your plans must cover.
- Coordination of Benefits for Motor Vehicle accident-Related Medical Claims 11/08/1
- Long Term Care Guide
Estimating What Your Health Care May Cost: A New Tool
Determining the cost of a treatment or procedure can be a mysterious or baffling process for consumers. Since reforming its health insurance marketplace in 2006, Massachusetts has been committed to price transparency and affordable health care for all; to meet those goals, Chapter 224 of the Acts of 2012 makes it mandatory that health insurance carriers provide individualized information regarding the estimated or maximum allowed charge for a proposed service as well as the estimated amount a member may be responsible to pay out-of-pocket. These estimates are to be based on information available to the member's insurance company at the time the consumer requests the estimate.
A chart found here details the current phone numbers and website addresses for each company's cost estimator program.
Medicare and Medigap Coverage
Important Tips and Resources
- Consumer Alert: Improve Your Health Insurance IQ; (Dec-2009)
- Consumer Alert: Medicare Prescription Drug Annual Enrollment; (Nov-2009)
- Health Insurance Plans: 4 Things You Should Know
- New Parents Need to Get Smart About Insurance
- Health Insurance Plans - Which Plan Is Right For You?
- National Health Care Reform: What Does it Mean for Massachusetts?
- Massachusetts Health Care Reform: Tips and Resources