Home- and Community- Based Services (HCBS) waivers are typically approved for a five-year period. They must then be renewed with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). This webpage contains information about waivers MassHealth is currently renewing with CMS. Please see below for links to the waiver renewal applications and information about how to provide feedback on the renewals to MassHealth.
DDS Waiver Renewal Applications—Drafts
The Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS) is working with the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) to renew three MassHealth Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS) waivers for individuals with Intellectual Disabilities.
- Intensive Supports Waiver (DDS-IS)
- Community Living Waiver (DDS-CL)
- Adult Supports Waiver (DDS-AS)
As part of the waiver renewal process, EOHHS plans continued growth of waiver capacity, as well as certain updates to the waivers as summarized below:
- Add waiver capacity
- Remove unused or underused services from the waivers: Center-based Day Supports (sheltered workshops); physical, occupational, and speech therapy; and 24-hour Self-Directed Home Sharing Support (DDS-IS only)
- Increase the limit on Individual Goods and Services to $3,000/year
- Set a limit of 90 days/year for Stabilization
- Require federal background checks for provider agency employees
- Allow state-operated providers to deliver certain waiver services
- Technical corrections and clarifications
Waiver Renewal Applications
Click on the links below to view the draft waiver renewal applications.
Hard copies of these documents are available upon request. Please email or send a written request to the addresses below.
Send Us Your Comments
We invite public comment on the draft waiver renewal applications before we submit them to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for approval. Please see below for how you can submit comments.
- By email: HCBSWaivers@State.MA.US
- By regular mail:
HCBS Waiver Unit
Executive Office of Health and Human Services
1 Ashburton Place, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02108
- In person, orally or in writing, at a public forum:
The first forum was held on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, at 11 a.m. at the Framingham Public Library Costin Room: Main Library, 49 Lexington Street, Framingham, MA.
The second public forum was held on Thursday, February 15, 2018, at 12 noon at the Springfield City Library Community Room: Central Library, 220 State Street, Springfield, MA.