The Office of Economic Empowerment provides free financial education workshops geared towards older adults, designed to provide information about preventing financial exploitation and effectively managing personal finances. Trained volunteer financial educators present the FDIC's Money Smart for Older Adults curriculum to participants and conclude with answering FAQs. Past sessions have covered topics in fraud and scam prevention, banking, credit, saving money, and financial recovery. We are currently offering these workshops virtually over Zoom.
- Recognize and reduce the risk of older adult financial exploitation
- Guard against identity theft
- Plan for the possible loss of ability in managing personal finances
- Prepare financially for disasters
- Locate helpful resources for managing money and reporting financial exploitation