The Office of Economic Empowerment provides free financial education workshops geared towards senior citizens, designed to inform older adults about preventing financial exploitation and effectively managing their personal finances. Trained volunteer financial educators present the FDIC's Money Smart for Older Adults curriculum to seniors and conclude with answering FAQs. Past sessions have covered topics in fraud and scam prevention, banking, credit, saving money, and financial recovery. In light of COVID-19, we are currently offering virtual Zoom workshops titled “Let’s Talk: Senior Fraud and Scam,” discussing prevalent and pandemic-specific scams targeting senior citizens.
- Recognize and reduce the risk of elder financial exploitation
- Guard against identity theft
- Plan for the possible loss of ability in managing personal finances
- Prepare financially for disasters
- Locate helpful resources for managing money and reporting financial exploitation