Joint petition for divorce under G.L. c.208, Section 1A form
See G.L. c.208, Section 1A for more information.
Documents to file with this form
File these documents with this petition:
- Certified copy of civil marriage certificate.
- R-408 - Certificate of Absolute Divorce or Annulment Statistical Information form. (See G.L. c.208, Section 6B) Please complete items #1 through #10B. Please type or write neatly. Do not leave fields blank. If you can’t complete the field (e.g. you don’t know how many prior marriages there were), put dashes ("---") in the field to show that you left it blank on purpose.
- Affidavit of Care and Custody if the parties have children together. This form is also available at the courthouse.
- Notarized Separation Agreement.
- Affidavit of Irretrievable Breakdown form. Please see Affidavit for Irretrievable Breakdown instructions.
- Child Support Guidelines Worksheet (CJD 304) if you’re requesting child support.
Additional Resources for
Please see the Probate and Family Court filing fees for applicable fees.
Please see this financial statements page for additional information, including the financial statement long and short forms and instructions.
See Uniform Probate Court Practice XXX and Supplemental Probate Court Rule 401 for more information.
- When there are minor children, divorcing parents are required to attend and participate in an approved Parent Education Program unless the court waives the requirement. See Probate and Family Court Standing Order 2-16.
- An automatic restraining order applies to both parties in a divorce complaint. It blocks both parties from doing anything that will change the parties' current financial status. See Supplemental Probate Court Rule 411.