• This page, Insurance Tips For Consumers Impacted By Merrimack Valley Gas Incident, is offered by
  • Division of Insurance

Insurance Tips For Consumers Impacted By Merrimack Valley Gas Incident

Insurance Tips

Damage resulting from explosions or fires caused by a gas leak would generally be covered under standard homeowners or renters policies, but consumers should contact their insurance company or agent to discuss their particular circumstances.  The Division of Insurance is also available to assist consumers.  Impacted homeowners and renters can call the Consumer Hotline at (617) 521-7794 or (877) 563-4467 (Toll Free) with any questions.

Tips for Impacted Consumers

The Division advises consumers to review their insurance policies and know their responsibilities in the event they need to file an insurance claim.  Consumers should do the following:

  • Report claims to your insurance company as soon as possible.  Independent insurance agents should be notified of any claims as well.
  • Protect any damaged property to the extent you can to prevent further damage and salvage what you can.
  • Note and photograph all damage and losses.  Back-up your claim with written estimates.  This will assist in settling claims.
  • If temporary housing is necessary, check your policy for Loss of Use coverage.  Your policy may cover such expenses up to a stated amount.
  • More information, including frequently asked questions following a disaster, is available on the DOI website: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/disaster-information  


Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback