The privilege of joining our Volunteer Host Camping program requires a commitment to serve the park and the public. Host campers receive a free campsite during their service in exchange for 20 hours per week work, that will likely include weekends.
Duties vary, but you'll probably be doing chores like:
- Raking campsites
- Clearing fire pits
- Cleaning bathrooms
- Staffing recycle centers
- Picking up trash
You'll also be expected to assist campers or park staff on nights, weekend, and holidays in emergency situations.
Good candidates must:
- Be 21 years old or older.
- Not be a current Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) employee, or have guests who are DCR employees.
- Agree to a Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and investigation.
- This applies to anyone 17 or older also staying on the host campsite.
- Not use the campsite as a primary residence.
- Follow all DCR rules and regulations.
- Bring their own camping equipment.
- Be willing and physically able to work at least 20 hours per week, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Set a good example for other campers.
How we pick Host Campers:
- Application review
- Approved CORI check
- An interview
- Availability of openings and park needs
To request an application or more information, call DCR at (617) 626-1250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.