This page, Learn about student loan assistance, is part of
This page, Learn about student loan assistance, is offered by

Learn about student loan assistance

Are you struggling to afford your student loans or having problems with your servicer? If so, the Attorney General’s Office may be able to help.

The Attorney General’s Student Loan Assistance Unit helps borrowers:

  • explore repayment options; 
  • apply for federal income-driven repayment plans;
  • avoid default or get loans out of default;
  • end wage garnishments, tax refund interceptions, or benefit offsets;
  • resolve billing disputes with loan servicers;
  • obtain loan details and information;
  • stop harassing collection calls; or
  • apply (in rare cases) for discharges.

To get help, please submit a Student Loan Help Request. When filling out the request, please describe your student loan situation in as much detail as possible. If you have any questions, please call our Student Loan Helpline at 1-888-830-6277. 

Your request will be reviewed in the order in which it was received. It is very important that you continue to meet any deadlines while you are waiting to hear from us. If your request would be better handled by a different government agency, we will refer you to that agency.

The Attorney General's Office cannot provide you with legal advice or act as your attorney. If you have questions concerning the specific application or interpretation of the law, please consult with a private attorney.

While you are waiting to hear from us, we encourage you to collect information about your federal student loans by creating an FSA ID with the U.S. Department of Education. With your FSA ID, you can obtain a full list of all of your federal student loans, along with servicer contact information, interest rates, principal balances, and other information that will help clarify your repayment options. Private student loans are not tracked by the U.S. Department of Education, but may be listed on your credit report. You can obtain a free copy of your credit report once a year from each of the three major credit reporting agencies.

Beware of student loan "debt relief" companies

Student loan “debt relief” companies charge fees for helping federal student loan borrowers enroll in income-driven repayment plans, consolidate loans, or get loans out of default. It’s important to understand that there is nothing these companies can do for you that you can’t do on your own for free. Learn how to spot student loan “debt relief” scams on the U.S. Department of Education’s website. If you’ve been deceived by a student loan "debt relief" company, please file a Student Loan Help Request.

How to explore federal loan repayment options on your own

Step 1: Create your FSA ID.

Step 2:  Learn about income-driven repayment plans and if applicable, Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Income-driven repayment plans tie your loan payment to your income, and can be as low as $0 per month. 

Step 3:  Use the U.S. Department of Education’s Loan Simulator to estimate your monthly payments, the projected total costs, and potential forgiveness amounts under each plan.

Step 4:  Apply for an income-driven repayment plan using the U.S. Department of Education’s website or mail the application to your federal loan servicer with your income documentation.

Step 5:  Be sure to recertify your income and family size each year. If you fail to recertify on time, your monthly payment will increase and any unpaid interest will be added to your loan balance. Your servicer will send you a notice about recertification once a year. 

U.S. Department of Education Resources

Additional Resources for

Student Loan Help Request