Leave of Absence

An overview of your health options under paid and unpaid leaves of absence.

Frequently Asked Questions

Updated on October 7, 2015


Q) I am a state employee taking an approved leave of absence without pay for medical reasons. May I continue to pay the employee share of the premium for my GIC benefits?
A) Provided that your agency head approved your leave of absence, you may apply to continue paying the employee share of your basic life and health insurance premiums  Submit a completed Employment Status Change Form (Form-1A), a letter from your agency head approving the leave, and a completed Application to Continue Part Cost Premiums (Form 11) to the GIC. You, your Agency Head and physician must all complete the Form 11 before it can be considered. The GIC will notify you of its decision. In the case of a leave without pay for reasons of personal illness, you must exhaust your vacation, sick, and compensatory time before a Form 11 can be submitted. If you do not pay your GIC premium, or if your agency no longer continues your employment, your coverage will end.

Q) I am a state employee taking an approved, unpaid leave of absence under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA). How long may I continue my GIC health and life coverage?
A) You will be able to continue your GIC coverage at your current employee contribution percentage for up to twelve weeks.

Q) What are my benefit options when I go on military leave?
A) State and Municipal employees with GIC coverage taking military leave of absence may do one of the following:

  • Cancel all GIC insurance coverage and be reinstated upon return from military leave. You will be reinstated with no waiting period with the same GIC coverage you had immediately prior to the military leave of absence.  The Employment Status Change Form (Form-1A state or Form-1AMUN Municipal) and copy of the Military Discharge Release Form must be received at the GIC within 60 days of the return to work.
  • Cancel health coverage and retain life insurance only coverage (state employee only). You will be directly billed for the employee share of premium for the life insurance coverage; you may continue your life insurance coverage as long as the monthly premiums are paid.
  • If you have family coverage, you may want to consider electing federal benefits offered to military personnel. Or, you may continue GIC coverage. As long as the monthly premiums are paid, you and your family may continue GIC benefits.

Q) I dropped my GIC health insurance while I was on military leave.  What are my health insurance options when I return to state or participating municipal service?

A)  When you return from military leave, you may enroll in the GIC health plan of your choice within 60 days of the return to work.  Otherwise, you may enroll during Annual Enrollment.

Q) I am a state employee not currently working and receive bills for my GIC health insurance coverage.  What happens if I do not pay these bills?

A) If you do not pay your GIC health insurance bills, your coverage will be cancelled for non-receipt of payment.  All claims incurred after your termination date will be your responsibility.  You can apply to reinstate your coverage during the GIC’s next annual enrollment period for coverage effective July 1. Municipal employees contact your municipality about payment of health coverage while you are not working.


Tell us what you think