- Read “Award Overview” section prior to completing the nomination form.
- Type or print legibly when completing the nomination form and make sure all sections of the form are completed. For group nominations please provide names and personal information for each group member on a separate spreadsheet.
- When writing the nomination narrative (Section III), please respond to each area requested:
· Elaborate in the area most applicable to nominee's accomplishment;
· Describe specific incidents/examples which typify nominee's work effort and performance;
· Quantify accomplishments (using facts and figures) wherever possible;
· Describe what the nominee actually does in his/her job (do not assume that the reader
understands the job; you may be underselling the nominee);
· Include remarks/personal testimony of individuals or organizations regarding nominee or
programs in which nominee participates;
· Explain what makes this person an exceptional employee. Detail his/her contributions.
Describe what makes this employee exemplary.
- Attach any supporting materials or additional statements/letters of support for the nominee(s) (limit 3 attachments). The Governor's Carballo Selection Committee looks closely at supporting documentation and takes it into consideration when making their selections.
- Attach the appropriate resume. For group nominations, please provide resume for group leader only (or 2-3 key members).
- Review the final submission to be submitted to HRD ensuring that the nomination is complete with resume(s) and any supporting documentation.
- Obtain Agency Head signature on the nomination form to verify approval of the nomination.
Nomination forms should be sent electronically in PDF format. The completed nomination packet (excluding Instructions and Overview), as well as resume and supporting documentation, should be sent to Nancy.Heidt@mass.gov
All nominations must be submitted to HRD by August 9, 2019 in order to be eligible for consideration.
About the Award
The Manuel Carballo Governor's Award for Excellence in Public Service, named in honor of the late Secretary of Human Services, is given annually to 10 employees or groups of employees who exemplify the highest standards of public service.
Only those individuals and groups who are awarded the Commonwealth Citation for Outstanding Performance as part of the 2019 program are eligible to be nominated for the Carballo Award. Each agency may nominate one individual or group of employees for consideration.
The Selection Committee will use one or more of the following criteria in selecting an individual or group for the Manuel Carballo Governor's Award for Excellence in Public Service:
· Exceptional accomplishments;
· Exemplary leadership;
· Creativity and innovation;
· Achievement of significant improvements in productivity and/or costs savings in agency operations.
Screening committees throughout the individual agencies will review all submissions within their own agency. Each agency will select one nomination to forward to the Human Resources Division (HRD) for consideration.
A Selection Committee which includes the Speaker of the House, the President of the Senate, and professionals from business, labor, community groups, academia and the media who are knowledgeable about Massachusetts state government will review the nominations and recommend to the Governor the names of the finalists who are most worthy of receiving the award.
It is expected that final candidate(s) for the Manuel Carballo Governor's Award for Excellence in Public Service be in full compliance, prior to selection, with all Local, Sate, and Federal tax obligations, and with any court ordered child support obligation. Accordingly, the Department of Revenue will be asked to determine whether the candidate has filed all applicable tax payments and court-ordered child support payments in a timely manner.
The Governor makes all final selection decisions.