Independent testing laboratories
The following is a list of Independent Testing Laboratories (ITL) registered with the Department of Public Health to conduct testing of marijuana for medical use for Registered Marijuana Dispensaries in Massachusetts. Please note that testing capabilities vary by ITL. Contact the ITL directly to learn about its testing capabilities.
|ProVerde Laboratories, Inc.
420 Fortune Blvd
Milford, MA 01757
|MCR Labs, LLC
85 Speen St.
Framingham, MA 01701
39 Norman St.
Salem, MA 01907
Guidance for Testing Laboratories
On December 1, the Department issued guidance for independent testing laboratories registered with the Medical Use of Marijuana Program.
The Policy on Contamination Notification Requirement (PDF) | (DOCX) outlines the requirements for both testing laboratories and Registered Marijuana Dispensaries to notify the Department of laboratory results indicating the contaminant levels in a tested product exceed the acceptable limits outlined in the Protocol for Sampling and Analysis of Finished Medical Marijuana Products and Marijuana-Infused Products and cannot be remediated.
Protocol for sampling and analysis of finished medical marijuana products and marijuana-infused products
To comply with Massachusetts medical use of marijuana regulations, RMDs must follow the protocol for sampling and analysis of finished medical marijuana products and marijuana-infused products for Massachusetts Registered Medical Marijuana Dispensaries. This guide provides RMDs with required and recommended best practices for the collection and analysis of plant material and other finished medical marijuana products and marijuana-infused products (MIPs).
- Exhibit 1. Overview of medical marijuana production
- Exhibit 2. Contaminants of concern and testing requirements for medical marijuana products
- Exhibit 3. Representative sample program design
- Exhibit 4. Analysis requirements and recommended limits for metals in finished medical marijuana products
- Exhibit 5. Minimum analysis requirements for residues of pesticides and plant growth regulators commonly used in cannabis cultivation
- Exhibit 6. Analysis requirements for microbiological contaminants and mycotoxins in medical marijuana products
- Exhibit 7. Concentration limits for residual solvents
- Exhibit 8. Actions in response to laboratory analytical results
Please take note of the amendment to the protocol for sampling and analysis of finished medical marijuana products and marijuana-infused products for Massachusetts RMDs. This amendment, effective November 23, 2016, includes the addition of the hydrocarbon gases propane, butane, and iso-butane to the list of approved solvents in Exhibit 7. Concentration limits for residual solvents.
If you have questions regarding the testing protocols, please email them to RMDCompliance@state.ma.us or mail them to:
Medical Use of Marijuana Program
Attn: RMD Compliance
99 Chauncy Street
Boston, MA 02111
Protocol for sampling and analysis of environmental media
The protocol for sampling and analysis of environmental media for Massachusetts Registered Medical Marijuana Dispensaries provides RMDs with requirements and best practices for the collection, handling, analysis, documentation, review, and reporting of environmental media samples to comply with Massachusetts medical use of marijuana regulations.
- Exhibit 1. Sampling and analysis requirement flow chart
- Exhibit 2. Soils/solids sampling frequency and analyses
- Exhibit 3. Water sampling frequency and analyses
- Exhibit 4. Analysis details – soil and solid growing media
- Exhibit 5. Analysis details – water
- Exhibit 6. Actions for environmental media analysis prior to cultivation
- Exhibit 7. Actions for ongoing monitoring of environmental media