|Minimum age requirement||18 years of age|
|Employed or sponsored by a municipal, Environmental, or University of Massachusetts police department||All student officers|
|Comprehensive Medical Exam*||Civil Service Departments|
|Physical Ability Test (PAT)||Civil Service Departments|
|Full medical coverage for the duration of the police academy||All student officers|
*The Municipal Police Training Committee’s policy requires the student officer's comprehensive medical exam to have been completed within nine-months of the start of the police academy but they must still be valid (unexpired) on the start date of an academy.
What you should know
- Registration and questions: You must register with, and direct all police academy related questions to the police training organization you are applying to.
- Sponsorship: In order for you to attend a police academy you must be sponsored by a chief of police in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. You must obtain this sponsorship yourself.
- Employment: Sponsorship does not guarantee employment with the sponsoring department or any other agency. (See 550 CMR 3.03 (3) of the MPTC CMRs Regulating Training)
- Health Insurance: You will be required to have health insurance to participate. It will be the responsibility of the sponsoring chief to verify insurance coverage as verified in the MPTC application.
- Firearms: The firearm and ammunition are not included in tuition. Specific requirements are found on the police training organization's training schedule.
- Equipment and gear: You will receive direction from the police training organization you are applying to.