related to

More information about name changes

Learn more about legislation, policies, and programs surrounding name changes.


Chapter 210 sec. 6, 6A, 12, 13, and 14 of the Massachusetts General Laws   
See also Chapter 208 sec. 23 of the Massachusetts General Laws for changing a name during a divorce.  
See also Chapter 46 sec. 1D  of the Massachusetts General Laws for adoption of surname upon marriage.

Help with name changes

Most Probate and Family courts have a Lawyer for the Day program where volunteer lawyers are available at the court to help you with basic questions about procedure and filling out forms.

You can also find a lawyer who offers Limited Assistance Representation (LAR). Limited Assistance Representation (LAR) is when an attorney represents or helps you with part, but not all, of your case.


Additional Resources for Help with name changes