Each subject matter has specific instructor certification and training requirements necessary to receive and maintain Instructor Certification. You must attend a topic's train-the-trainer in order to be certified as an MPTC Instructional Trainer.
Requirements to receive Certification as an Instructional Trainer
Each subject matter (topic) has specific qualifications and training requirements the potential instructor trainer must meet to receive and maintain Instructor Certification. Please see below "Guides to Instructor Certification Requirements by Topic" for a detailed guide to each topic's requirements.
Initial Instructor Certification:
- Complete the instructor certification training outlined for the topic(s) you are requesting certification as an instructional trainer.
- A separate request for Instructor Certification for each topic area to be taught is required.
- Please see the NEW Instructor Certification Process in MPTC Acadis Portal (Effective 10Dec18)
- Once certification requirements are approved, you and your sponsoring agency will be notified by the MPTC's Instructor Certification Manager. All certified instructors receive a certificate attesting to their authorization to teach a specific topic.
- If you do not meet the instructor certification training requirements you and your sponsoring agency will be notified of the denial and basis for it.
- Prior to teaching the first time, the certified instructor must attend the Prerequisite Instructor Development Program. This program is a prerequisite to becoming an instructor for the MPTC and its sponsored programs. Instructor trainers must attend this course prior to teaching for the MPTC and its sponsored programs.
Renew Instructor Certification: Instructor Certification expires.
- You are required to become recertified prior to the date of expiration.
- Complete the instructor recertification requirements outlined for the topic(s) you teach
- Renew Instructor Certification for each topic area to be taught online via the MPTC Acadis portal.
- View detailed instructions and MPTC Acadis portal User Guides
Guides to Instructor Certification Requirements by Topic
Provided below, each subject matter (topic) is linked to a Guide with specific instructor certification and training requirements necessary to receive and maintain instructor certification for the topic.
Upon completing the instructor certification or re-certification course, you must apply to the MPTC to receive an Instructor Certification Level in a topic. View detailed instructions and MPTC Acadis portal User Guides
Instructor Certification in the topics listed below must be recertified every year:
Instructor Certification in the topics listed below must be recertified every three years:
- CPR/First Responder
- Defensive Tactics
- Domestic Violence
- MILO Force Control Simulator
- Patrol Procedures and Active Shooter
- Sexual Assault (Contact Maura Landry at Maura.Landry@mass.gov)