More about:

Out-of-state license conversion

If you become a Massachusetts resident and hold a driver's license from another state, you will need to convert it.

What you need

1. Social Security number or Denial Notice (*from Social Security Administration with valid visa. Refer to the visa classification codes for eligibility.)

2. Date of birth

3. Parent or guardian consent (if under 17)

  • Parent/guardian signature is required on the application
  • Guardian must have proper documentation of authority — refer to the Driver’s Manual for specific documents

4. Out-of-state license

  • Your out-of-state license with photo may also be used to prove date of birth
  • If you do not have the out-of-state license OR if the out-of-state license does not have a photo, an acceptable photo ID from the acceptable documents list is required

5. Driving Record

  • Must be certified and not more than 30 days old

6. Completed Application

7. Payment of fees

If you are 18 or over, you will need documents to prove your signature and MA residency.

Additional Resources for What you need


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think