Out of state salvage titles

All out-of-state salvage vehicles, regardless of the vehicle’s year of manufacture, must pass a salvage inspection before they can be registered or titled in Massachusetts.

The RMV does not honor out-of-state salvage inspections unless the Registrar and the motor vehicle administrators of those states have previously agreed to accept each others’ inspections. At this time, Massachusetts will only honor a New Hampshire salvage inspection if the inspection was done for a New Hampshire resident or a New Hampshire dealer. Massachusetts residents and Massachusetts dealers must have vehicles inspected in Massachusetts.

The RMV may issue a salvage title in Massachusetts for a vehicle which has a salvage title from another state. If the vehicle is transferred from another state without a salvage title, the new owner or transferee must apply for a Salvage Title in Massachusetts.

If the vehicle with an out of state salvage title is purchased by an individual, it is the responsibility of the purchaser to obtain a Salvage Title in their name prior to the Salvage Inspection process.

New York Salvage Certificates

A New York 907A Form is a certificate issued by the insurance company instead of a Salvage Title. If a Massachusetts resident or licensed dealer purchases a vehicle that has a New York Salvage Certificate (907A Form), he/she must apply for a Massachusetts Salvage Title prior to selling the vehicle or bringing the vehicle for a salvage inspection.