Road test for passenger, motorcycle, and commercial licenses

After obtaining your learner's permit, you will need to pass a road test in order to obtain a driver's license.

ATTENTION: Applicants who obtained a learner's permit BEFORE 3/26/18 and will not take a road test until AFTER 3/26/18.

Beginning March 26, 2018, getting a driver’s license will require additional documentation to prove U.S. Citizenship or lawful presence in the United States.

In order to be eligible for a REAL ID or Standard driver’s license, you must prove both lawful presence and a valid stay of at least 12 months in the U.S. Passing the road test alone will NOT make you a licensed driver.  You will remain a learner’s permit holder until you have passed the road test, paid all fees, and provided the required documentation. Visit for more information.

Passenger (Class D) road test

Applicant requirements

For a Class D road test you will need:

If you are under 18 years of age:

  • The application must be signed by one of the following:
    • A parent
    • A legal guardian
    • Department of Children and Families
    • A boarding school headmaster

If the person signing the application is not a parent, proper documentation must be shown at the time of the road test to prove that the person is qualified to sign.

Sponsor requirements

Your sponsor must:

  • Be 21 years of age or older.
  • Have at least 1 year of driving experience.
  • Be duly licensed by his/her state of residence.

They must also have their valid driver's license for the examiner to review.

Vehicle requirements

Your vehicle must have:

  • A valid vehicle registration.
  • A valid inspection sticker.
  • Seating accommodations for the driver and adequate seating so that the examiner may sit next to you and your sponsor may sit in the rear seat behind the driver.
  • Proof of insurance coverage equal to or exceeding the Massachusetts minimum requirements, which are $20,000/$40,000 for bodily injury and $5,000 for property damage.
  • A parking brake within reach of the front passenger seat, allowing the examiner unobstructed access to the parking brake.

For rental vehicles:

  • Your rental agreement and written permission on the rental company’s letterhead authorizing use of the vehicle for the road test is required.

You can attempt no more than 6 Class D road tests in a 12-month period.

Additional Resources

Motorcycle (Class M) road test

Applicant requirements

For a Class M road test you will need:

If you are under 18 years of age:

  • You must successfully complete a Massachusetts Rider Education Program (MREP) basic rider course.
  • Complete all junior operator requirements.

Vehicle requirements

Your motorcycle must:

  • Be safe and in good working order. The road test will be canceled if the Examiner believes the motorcycle is unsafe.
  • Have a valid registration document.
  • Have a valid inspection sticker.
  • If the motorcycle is registered out-of-state, the customer will have to show the examiner proof of insurance coverage equal to Massachusetts’ minimum limits, which are $20,000/$40,000 for bodily injury and $5,000 for property damage. A policy or a certificate that lists limits of coverage serves as proof of the vehicle’s insurance.

A customer who takes a road test on a limited use vehicle or 3-wheeled vehicle (trike) will receive a Class M license with a “J” restriction with the following description:

  • “Motorcycle — limited use vehicle only” or
  • "Motorcycle — limited to 3-wheels only"

With this restriction, a customer will only be allowed to use the Class M license to operate a limited-use vehicle or a 3-wheel motorcycle.

You do not need a sponsor for a Class M road test.

If you fail 2 Class M road tests, you must enroll in and successfully complete the RMV approved beginner rider course (MREP).

You do not have to take a Class M road test if you have successfully completed the RMV approved beginner rider course (MREP), unless you are under 18 years of age.

Additional Resources

Commercial (Class A, B, C) road test

Applicant requirements

For a commercial driver's license (CDL) road test, you will need:

  • A current driver's license, if you are seeking additional endorsements.
  • A valid CLP permit, with proper endorsements for the vehicle used.
  • A valid Department of Transportation (DOT) medical card or medical waiver.
  • A completed CDL road test application
  • If you answered yes to question 7, 8, or 10 on the road test application, the application must be approved by an RMV service center Manager or an authorized RMV employee before the road test.
  • A CDL self-certification form.

If you are 18 or older, you can apply for an intrastate (MA only) CDL at any RMV location. If you are 21 or older, you can apply for an interstate (all states) CDL at any RMV location. To be eligible, you must not have had your driver’s license or right to operate revoked by the Registrar.

For a Class A CDL application, you need the concurrent endorsement tests as well. If you are updating from a Class D license to a Class C, then there is no road test requirement unless the endorsement requires one. Passenger, air brake, and school bus endorsements require road tests.

Sponsor requirements

Your sponsor must:

  • Be at least 21 years old.
  • Have a valid U.S. commercial driver's license with proper endorsements for the class of vehicle that you are using.
  • Have held a CDL for at least one year.
  • Have a current DOT medical card (sponsors must have their current DOT medical card in their possession, if they are required to have on).

Vehicle requirements

Vehicles used for a Class A, B, or C road test must meet the following requirements: 

  • Represent the type and class of vehicle you will be driving when you receive your CDL 
    • For a Passenger (P) Endorsement, the applicant must have the appropriate class vehicle designed to carry 16 or more passengers, including the driver
  • Be able to pass a safety check
  • Vehicles with unstable, dangerous, or HAZMAT loads will be rejected
    • The vehicle must be completely free of hazardous material
  • Have a valid registration and current inspection sticker
  • Have adequate seating next to the operator for the use of the examiner
  • Have a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) on the vehicle, appropriate for the class of license for which you are applying
    • If there is no GVWR on the vehicle, you must have a document from the manufacturer or a motor vehicle dealer proving the GVWR

For out of state, trailers, and semi-trailers:

  • Carry proof of insurance coverage in the form of a policy or letter from the insurance company specifying the limits of coverage. The insurance coverage must be equal to Massachusetts minimum requirements of $20,000/$40,000 bodily injury and $5,000 property damage coverage for the vehicle's use in Massachusetts (no faxes or photocopies).

For rental vehicles:

  • Have the rental agreement and written permission on the rental company's letterhead authorizing use of the vehicle for the road test.

Additional Resources

More info

You can find out if your road test has been canceled by checking for an alert posted on or call the RMV contact center.

You will still be charged for a road test if you:

  • Fail.
  • Are unprepared; for example, your vehicle fails to pass the examiner’s inspection.
  • Do not bring a qualified sponsor.
  • Do not appear or are late.
  • Cancel or reschedule your test with less than 72 hours notice.

Road tests will be automatically canceled when:

  • The Governor declares a state of emergency for the entire state.
  • The Governor declares a state of emergency in a certain region of the state (only road tests in this region will be canceled).

You may reschedule a road test with no additional fee if your road test was cancelled due to weather conditions.


Tell us what you think