Office of the State Treasurer and Receiver General
Department: State Board of Retirement
Job Title: Benefits Administration Analyst
Reports to: Benefit Administration Mgr.
FLSA Status: Non‐Exempt
Salary: $38,000 – $48,000
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Massachusetts State Retirement Board (MSRB) administers a defined benefit retirement plan for eligible employees and participants. The Benefits Administration Analyst must accurately review, process and administer various types of service purchase and related requests from members of the State Employees’ Retirement System. By demonstrating satisfactory success in this position a candidate may than be given additional responsibilities within the MSRB.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Develop thorough understanding and technical knowledge of various types of service purchase requests and related eligibility criteria under retirement plan rules;
- Provide phone and in-person counseling in order to answer member inquiries;
- Research requests for stablishing creditable service, reinstating previously refunded time, out of state teaching, military service, and service with other cities and towns;
- Develop skills to understand and calculate creditable service and relationship to retirement benefits;
- Verify salaries and service histories with various state agencies and local retirement boards;
- Communicate with other retirement boards on participant salaries; refund breakdowns; service and liabilities of their members attempting to establish creditable service with the State Board of Retirement;
- Develop skills necessary to integrate and become proficient with OnBase ECM system in order to successfully process member purchases or creditable service and other types of system transactions;
- Prepare matters for Board review where necessary.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Adhere to Treasury and Board employment policies.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Develop working knowledge of retirement plan rules under Mass General Laws Chapter 32, Board regulations, and policies.
- Develop skills to utilize new MARIS computer system, and working knowledge of current MSRB computer system.
- Expertise in using spreadsheets and word-processing software.
- Intermediate excel skills.
- Excellent reading, analytical and detail-oriented skills.
- Self-motivated and ability to remain focused on tasks through completion with the ability to adhere to processing deadlines.
- Must be highly organized and possess excellent customer support skills.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience in retirement or related employee benefit fields preferred.