Office of the State Treasurer and Receiver General
Department: State Board of Retirement
Reports to: Disability Retirement Case Manager
Title: Disability Benefits Case Counselor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $38,000 - $48,000
PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Massachusetts State Retirement Board (MSRB) administers a defined benefit retirement plan for eligible employees of the Commonwealth and certain independent entities. The Disability Benefits Case Counselor provides informational support to members of the State Employees’ Retirement System regarding all aspects disability related retirement benefits; manages and processes all aspects of accidental and ordinary disability retirement applications and benefit payments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist the Disability Retirement Case manager in all aspects of the processing of disability retirement applications, including but not limited to:
- Sending, receiving and tracking all disability applications;
- Entering of relevant data into MARIS and PROSPER computer systems;
- Creation of a written case summary, including summary of facts, legal and medical issues, indicating (among other things) incoming and outgoing documents;
- Ensuring the MSRB has received all relevant medical records from relevant parties;
- “As needed” correspondence or communication with retirement system members/ their representatives, and employing agencies regarding the status of the application;
- Counseling members of the retirement system.
- Performing factual investigation on disability cases and obtaining required documentation.
- Electronically transmitting eligible applications and supporting materials to PERAC for the convening of a medical panel.
- Drafting case summaries for submission at monthly Board meetings.
- Supervising the assembly of materials for cases selected to be heard by the Board.
- Tracking information related to worker’s compensation benefits associated with disability cases.
- Forwarding of Board and PERAC approved applications to Benefit Calculation Unit for determination of benefit amount.
- Assist in preparation of cases appealed by members for hearing at Division of Administrative Law Appeals and beyond.
- Administer in conjunction with Board Legal Unit and PERAC, Annual Statement of Earnings (§91A) and Medical Update reports.
- Respond to requests for information from PERAC.
- Perform any assigned special projects as periodically required.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist other Retirement Board departments as necessary.
- Develop proficiency with PROSPER application system; OnBase ECM (document scanning) System and demonstrate ability to integrate with daily responsibilities.
- Remain current with changes to M.G.L. c.32 and possess ability to explain provisions to members.
- Develop skills to conduct retirement seminars to groups of state employees, explaining retirement benefits. Travel as required.
- Adhere to Treasury and Board human resource and operational policies.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Associate’s Degree or higher or comparable work experience.
- Excellent communication (writing and speaking), inter-personal and demonstrated organizational skills are required.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, summarize, and assess medical records on a wide variety of physical and psychological issues.
- Comfort and familiarity with medical issues.
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply retirement laws and regulations.
- Ability to maintain complex records and to prepare periodic reports from such records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and professional working environment.
- Knowledge of retirement industry in general and related benefits.
- Currently proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Windows.
- Familiarity with electronic content management (scanning) systems.