Massachusetts Aging and Mental Health Coalition
The Massachusetts Aging and Mental Health Coalition (MAMHC) is a statewide membership organization dedicated to improving awareness of the critical problems elders face when experiencing mental illness, dementia or substance abuse.
- Elderly Suicide Fact Sheet
- Guidebook: "Eliminating Barriers to Mental Health Treatment: A Guide for Massachusetts Elders, Families and Caregivers."
- Suicide Prevention for Older Adults: Depression is NOT Normal Aging (DOC)
- Institute for Geriatric Social Work at Boston University offers courses on suicide prevention and mental health
- The Role of Senior Living Community Professionals in Preventing Suicide. This sheet provides basic information to help professionals in senior living communities recognize and respond to people who may be suicidal or at high risk. It also contains a list of relevant resource materials and organizations. Input and review from senior living community professionals at the national and local levels was obtained in developing the sheet.
The LGBT Aging Project
The LGBT Aging Project is a non-profit organization dedicated to ensuring that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender elders have equal access to the life-prolonging benefits, protections, services and institutions that their heterosexual neighbors take for granted. The Aging Project offers LGBT bereavement support groups, caregiver support groups, a speakers bureau, meal programs, community education seminars and cultural competency trainings. Through education, advocacy and outreach, they help LGBT elders grown older with the dignity and respect they deserve.
Promoting Emotional Health and Preventing Suicide: A Toolkit for Senior Living Communities (SPARK Kit)
This free SAMHSA toolkit equips senior living staff with resources to promote mental health and prevent suicide and to encourage active participation among residents. The toolkit includes guidelines for integrating suicide prevention into ongoing programs, hands-on tools, and training manuals.