What are droughts?
What should communities do during a drought?
Local Actions @ Level 2
- Residents and Businesses:
- Minimize overall water use;
- Limit outdoor watering to hand-held hoses or watering cans, to be used only after 5 p.m. or before 9 a.m.
- Immediate Steps for Communities:
- Adopt above restrictions;
- Limit or prohibit installation of new lawn/landscape, washing of hard surfaces, washing vehicles, filling pools and hot tubs;
- Implement drought surcharge or seasonal water rates;
- Establish water-use reduction targets for all water users;
- Identify top water users and conduct targeted outreach to help curb their use.
- Short- and Medium-Term Steps for Communities:
- Establish a year-round water conservation program that includes public education and communication;
- Check emergency inter-connections for water supply, and;
- Develop a local drought management plan using guidance from the Massachusetts Drought Management Plan.