The following construction activities on the Project are planned for Summer 2018
- Complete construction of the Shared Use Path on the Northbound Span
- Installation of protective screens and interpretive sign panels along the shared use path
- Installation of Lighting, Overhead Signage, and ITS infrastructure
- Milling and Paving of NB and SB mainline, from Route 113 through Route 110 Interchange
- Milling and Paving of the exit 58 interchange ramps and route 110 from Rabbit Road to Clarks Road
- Painting of the superstructure steel connections at Whittier bridge, Pine Hill road and route 110 overpasses
- Final removals of the former Whittier bridge piers
- Final restoration of construction staging areas
A 4-mile section of I-95 opened to its full capacity of four lanes of traffic in both the north and southbound directions on Friday, July 13.
Current Traffic Management (September 2018)
Intermittent Ramp closures and detour routes:
- Detour I-95 Northbound Exit 58A Ramp to Route 110 Eastbound:
- Take I-95 Northbound to Exit 60. Turn right onto Main Street. Continue onto Rabbit Road. Continue to Route 110.
- Detour I-95 Northbound Exit 58B Ramp to Route 110 Westbound:
- Take I-95 Northbound to Exit 60. Turn right onto Main Street. Continue onto Rabbit Road. Turn right onto Route 110.
- Detour Route 110 Westbound Ramp to I-95 Southbound:
- Take Route 110 Westbound turn right onto Elm Street. Turn right onto Monroe Street. Take left onto on-ramp to I-95 Southbound.
- Detour Route 110 Ramp to I-95 Northbound:
- Route 110 Eastbound – Take Route 110 Eastbound turn left onto Rabbit Road. Continue onto Main Street. Turn left onto Toll Road and take ramp to I-95 Northbound.
- Route 110 Westbound – Take Route 110 Westbound turn right onto Elm Street. Turn right onto Monroe Street. Turn left onto Toll Road and take ramp to I-95 Northbound.
- Detour I-95 Southbound Exit 58 Ramp to Route 110:
- Proceed on I-95 Southbound to Exit 57. Take left onto Route 113 then left onto Ramp to I-95 Northbound. Take Exit 60 turn right onto Main Street. Continue onto Rabbit Road to Route 110.
- Detour Route 110 Eastbound Ramp to I-95 Southbound:
- Proceed on Route 110 Eastbound, turn left onto Rabbit Road. Turn left onto Route 286 then turn right on to I-95 Southbound ramp.
- Detour Route 113 Ramp to I-95 Northbound:
- I-95 Southbound to Exit 56. Take left onto South Street then turn left onto I-95 Northbound ramp.
- Detour I-95 Northbound Exit 60 Ramp to Toll Road
- I-95 Northbound to Exit 1. Turn Left onto Route 107 then turn Right on I-95 Southbound ramp. Take Exit 60 ramp and continue onto Toll Road
All ramp closures will be coordinated with adjacent project at Route 113. Overnight lane closures are from 8:00 PM each night to 5:00 AM the following morning (unless otherwise noted)
MassDOT's design/build contractor, Walsh-McCourt JV1, for the Whittier Bridge/I-95 Improvement Project continues working in several areas along the project corridor. Daytime work hours are typically 6 AM to 4 PM. Nighttime work hours are typically 8 PM to 5 AM. A Saturday night shift from 8 PM to 5 AM may be utilized on an as-needed basis. Construction related traffic modifications are listed below. In general, lane closure hours coincide with the hours of work for each shift. There are generally no lane closures on Sundays.
Periodic daytime and nighttime lane closures for the following roadways:
- I-95 southbound
- I-95 northbound
- Route 110 eastbound
- Route 110 westbound
Traffic conditions will be monitored while lane closures are in place.
The schedule for this major infrastructure project is subject to change without notice. All lane restrictions and closures and construction activities are weather dependent. As is typical with most large construction projects, work may sometimes take place without prior notice; however, MassDOT will make every effort to provide advance notice.