The MPTC is looking to certify instructors to become instructional trainers in the topic below at Training Year 2019 mandated in-service programs.
Potential instructors who meet the qualifications can register for one or more instructor Train-the-Trainer below:
- Police Interactions with Persons with Mental Illness – Part II
- Integrating Communication, Assessment, and Tactics (ICAT)
- Multi Agency Response to Active Shooter (ASHE)
- Defensive Tactics Skills
- Legal Issues
Police Response to Persons with Mental Illness – Part II
Prerequisite: You must meet one of the qualifications below to register to become certified as an instructional trainer in this topic.
- Mental Health First Aid USA trainers, or
- Police Response to Persons with Mental Illness – Part I trainers, or
- CIT trained or equivalent, or
- Police officers or clinicians who have attended the Mental Health Frist Aid USA class along with extensive work and knowledge with those in their community who have mental illness.
Integrating Communication, Assessment, and Tactics (ICAT)
Prerequisite: Must be currently sworn full time police officer with minimum of 5 years experience on the job, along with previous teaching experience.
Defensive Tactics Skills
- Must be currently leveled II, III or IV Defensive Tactics Instructors.
(Level II instructors will have to co-teach with a level III or IV).
- The T/T required to teach this topic is the Integrating Communication, Assessment and Tactics Train the Trainer (ICAT T/T). It does not matter if you are not planning on teaching the ICAT for in-service. If you are teaching Defensive Tactics Skills in the in-service, you must take the ICAT T/T.
Multi Agency Response to Active Shooter (ASHE)
Prerequisite: Must be currently a sworn full-time police officer with minimum of 5 years experience on the job, along with previous teaching experience.
ALL legal instructor certifications require attendance to the Annual Legal Train-the-Trainer to maintain certification. This requirement includes instructors who teach Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Juvenile Law and Motor Vehicle Law to recruits as well as legal updates for in-service.
Prerequisites: This course is only for Level 2 and Level 3 instructors.
If you any questions please contact Sheila Gallagher, Esq. Legal Issues Coordinator @ (781) 437-0314 or E-mail: Sheila.Gallagher@mass.gov