Medical facilities should coordinate the certification of the death records that occur in their facilities in order to provide the funeral home with a copy of the certified medical portion of the death record for transportation of the decedent.
Medical data entry staff or a physician or a nurse practitioner, can initiate the death certificate process and is primarily responsible for documenting the decedent’s cause(s) of death. The electronic death record should be certified by the medical certifier within 24 hours from the time of death. In some cases, the certification of the electronic death record will need to be completed sooner in order to meet religious obligations.
At times, the intended certifier of the death record will be unavailable to certify the death record when ready. In these circumstances, hospital staff should facilitate the reassignment of the death record for certification by another member of the decedent’s care team or a designated medical director.
Learn how to enroll
- VIP Enrollment Guide for Medical Facilities PDF (Doc)
- Note: Physicians or Nurse Practitioners who will certify deaths should follow the enrollment guide located in the Medical Certifier section. The enrollment process for medical certifiers is different from enrolling medical data entry staff.
- VIP EDRS Medical Staff Overview PDF (Doc)
- VIP EDRS Medical Certifiers Overview PDF (Doc)
- Recorded Webinar Links PDF (Doc)
- Training Opportunities PDF (Doc)
Quick guides for medical certifiers & medical staff
- Quick Guide for Online Certifiers PDF (Doc)
- Quick Guide to Fax Attestation for Offline Certifiers PDF (Doc)
- Quick Guide to Fax Attestation for medical staff working with Offline Certifiers PDF (Doc)
- VIP EDRS Handout Sheet for Medical Certifiers PDF (Doc)
- VIP Electronic Death Registration System -Introduction and Overview PDF (Doc)
- Massachusetts Medical Society Cause of Death Training for Medical Certifiers (CMEs Available)
- Electronic Death Registration System Brochure PDF (Doc)
- Memo to Massachusetts Licensed Physicians regarding the Electronic Death Registration System PDF (Doc)
- Vitals Information Partnership (VIP) Contingency Plan PDF (Doc)
- Primary Burial Agent Directory (Doc)