The purpose of the South Station Expansion project is to expand South Station Rail Terminal capacity and related layover capacity to meet current and anticipated future (2035) high-speed, intercity, and commuter rail service. For this to happen the following tasks are needed:
- Enable growth in passenger rail transportation
- Improve service reliability through updates to rail infrastructure and related layover capacity
- Improve the passenger capacity and experience of using South Station
- Promote city-building in a key area of Boston
- Allow for Dorchester Avenue to be reopened for public use and enjoyment
MassDOT is committed to comprehensive and inclusive civic engagement as part of the South Station Expansion project.