Effective: 03/31/2021, updated 6/11/21
Personally identifiable information
We use the term “personally identifiable information” to mean any information that could reasonably be used to identify you, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, Social Security number, birth date, bank account information, credit card information, or any combination of information that could be used to identify you.
Personally identifiable information we collect for preregistration is used to determine vaccine eligibility and inform the order in which registrants are selected for an opportunity to book an appointment, as vaccine supply constraints permit. You are required to provide certain information through preregistration to participate, while other information is optional.
- Information you provide that is required for preregistration:
- Your first name and last name
- Your date of birth
- Your zip code
- Your preferred contact method
- Whether you have certain medical conditions
- Whether you reside in certain care facility or housing settings
- Whether you are employed in certain occupations
- Information you provide that is optional for preregistration:
- Your address
- Your race and ethnicity
- Whether you have a certain language preference for communications
- Your phone number
Internet Activity Information
How we use personally identifiable information submitted for preregistration
We may use personally identifiable information for the following purposes:
- To administer the Preregistration Service. When you enter your first name, last name, date of birth, and other required information, we will use said information to determine your eligibility to receive a vaccine, and along with your zip code, select you for an opportunity to book a vaccination appointment at one of the mass vaccination sites nearest to you, subject to limited appointment availability.
- To analyze how you interact with our Preregistration Service;
- To maintain and improve the Preregistration Service and the Commonwealth's vaccination rollout plan and content related to said services;
- To prevent fraud, spam, criminal activity, or abuses or misuses of our Service, and to ensure the security of our IT systems, architecture, and networks; and
- To comply with legal obligations and legal process and to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or other third parties.
Dissemination of personally identifiable information
We do not sell any personally identifiable information collected through Mass.gov or submitted to the Commonwealth in conjunction with using functions on Mass.gov, and there is no direct or online public access to the information. However, once you voluntarily submit personally identifiable information to us related to your use of Mass.gov, its dissemination is governed by the “Public Records Law,” the “Fair Information Practices Act” (Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 66A), and other applicable laws and regulations. For this reason, part or all of the information you send us may be provided to a member of the public in response to a public records request. There are pieces of information, such as credit card numbers, TIN, username, or password that are not considered public for the purposes of a public records request. For more information on types of data exempted from disclosure under the Public Records Law, please read the Secretary of the Commonwealth’s Public Records Law.
In addition, the information that you voluntarily submit will be disclosed only to Commonwealth employees or officials, or those under contract with the Commonwealth, with a “need to know” for purposes of fulfilling their job responsibilities. The information will be used for such purposes as: administering the Preregistration Service and the Commonwealth’s vaccination rollout plan, answering your questions, responding to any requests for assistance; generating summary statistics about usage; auditing applications and detecting fraud, spam, aiding or misuses of the services; aiding in the planning, design and development of Mass.gov, and fulfilling the Commonwealth's legal obligations.
Your access and opportunity to correct
Because information sent to the Commonwealth is not encrypted, you should not send messages containing information that you consider highly sensitive to Mass.gov. We use standard security measures to ensure that information provided by you, including your personally identifiable information, is not lost, misused, altered, or unintentionally destroyed. We also use software to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage. Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits.
In certain circumstances, providing personally identifiable information is optional. However, if you choose not to provide personally identifiable information that is needed to preregister, you may be unable to do so.