Log in links for this page

Work and Family Mobility Act (WFMA)

Starting July 1, 2023, eligible residents in Massachusetts can obtain a Standard (Class D or M) driver's license, regardless of immigration status, under the Work and Family Mobility Act.

The Work and Family Mobility Act removes the requirement that customers provide proof of lawful presence for a Standard Driver’s license.

The RMV is committed to providing quality services to all customers. We are working hard to develop informational resources, translation services, and guidance to help all Massachusetts residents access driver’s licenses.

To obtain a license, the RMV will require all applicants to prove their identity, date of birth, and Massachusetts residency. To see the expanded list of documents the RMV will accept, scroll down. Drivers will also be required to pass a learner's permit exam, vision screening, and a road test.

Please use the information below to successfully get your license.

Table of Contents


WFMA logo

To legally drive in Massachusetts, you must first apply for a learner's permit, and take and pass the learner's permit exam. A learner's permit allows you to drive on the road while practicing your driving skills. 
After obtaining a learner’s permit, drivers must then pass a road test to receive a Standard (Class D or M) driver's license. A passenger (Class D) license allows you to legally operate a passenger vehicle, van, or small truck. A motorcycle (Class M) license allows you to legally operate a motorcycle. 

Below are more details on how to get your Standard driver's license. 

Getting Your Learner’s Permit and Standard Driver’s License 

Step 1: Get Informed 

The Work and Family Mobility Act is the law in Massachusetts. The RMV is here to assist eligible drivers with this process so they can start driving safely and with peace of mind.  

The first step to getting your license is understanding the process. Learn about the requirements by searching mass.gov/RMV or continue reading to learn about the requirements below. Other resources under mass.gov/RMV will be updated prior to July 1 with additional guidance. Make sure the websites you use have the official mass.gov link.

Step 2: Schedule Your Appointment for your Learner’s Permit 

Complete a learner’s permit application online starting on July 1. Select the permit you are applying for, either “Class D” for a standard license or “Class M” for a motorcycle license. If needed, you may fill out a paper application.  

After filling out an application, you are required to schedule an appointment at a Service Center. Appointments can be made on myRMV.  Appointments can be scheduled in advance but must be scheduled for no earlier than July 1.

Please note that Service Center appointments are limited based on Service Center hours, and it may take time to schedule one. If there is not an appointment available on your preferred date and location, check back frequently. Appointments open daily. Once you book your appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with the time and date.   

To ensure a smooth process, the RMV encourages customers to pay fees in advance online:   

  • The learner’s permit fee is $30  

  • The road test fee is $35  

  • The license fee is $50  

Step 3: Study for the Learner’s Permit Exam 

Once you’ve made an appointment for a learner’s permit, you need to take the permit exam. This exam will allow you to prove your knowledge of Massachusetts driving laws to ensure that you can drive safely

While you wait for your appointment day, make time to study for the learner’s permit exam, which is available in 35 languages. For more information, read the Driver’s Manual and take a practice exam.   

For first time drivers, additional resources are available to help you prepare.   

Step 4: Prepare Your Documents 

Before your appointment, be sure to gather your documents, including:

  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of date of birth
  • Social security number, Social Security denial letter, or affidavit
  • Residency documents. 

To understand what documents to bring, refer to the Identification Requirements section below.

Step 5: Visit the Service Center, Take the Exam, and Get Your Permit  

On the day of your scheduled learner’s permit appointment, bring your required documents and completed application with you. Employees at the Service Center will not be able to provide an application for customers if they fail to bring a completed one.   

We encourage all customers to arrive at the Service Center 15 minutes before your scheduled reservation. At your appointment, you will take a vision screening and pay your learner’s permit fee ($30) if it was not already prepaid.  

Next, you will choose whether to take your learner’s permit exam in-person at the Service Center or online after your visit.   

If you choose to take your exam at a Service Center, the RMV will print and issue you the permit.  

If you choose to take the exam online, you will be given login instructions and credentials to complete the test and will be responsible for printing the permit yourself. You must take the exam within 60 days of visiting the Service Center.   

Under 18? Click here for more information.  

If you fail the exam, you can reschedule and retake the exam for a $30 fee.  

Step 6: Practice Driving  

Once you have your permit, you can begin to practice driving with a qualified driver. Qualified drivers must:   

  • Hold a valid driver’s license from Massachusetts or another state   

  • Sit in the passenger seat next to you while you drive  

  • Be at least 21 years old  

  • Have at least one year of driving experience  

Step 7: Schedule Your Road Test  

Next, you will be required to schedule a road test appointment. Appointments can be made after customers receive a learner's permit and are available up to 60 days in advance of the appointment date. 

It may take time to find an appointment. If there is not an appointment available on the preferred date and location, check back frequently. Appointments open daily.  

If you need an interpreter, you may request one when making the road test appointment. You may also bring your own interpreter for the road test.  

To prepare for your road test:  

On the day of your road test, you must be accompanied by a qualified sponsor. Sponsor requirements:  

  • Be 21 years of age or older 

  • Have at least 1 year of driving experience 

  • Be duly licensed by his/her state of residence 

You must pay the road test fee ($35) if it was not prepaid.  

Note: Customers under the age of 18 must have their permit for six months before taking their road test.  

If you fail your road test, you must wait 2 weeks before taking another test. You are not allowed to attempt more than six road tests in a 12-month period. 

Step 8: Take your Road Test and Get Your Driver's License 

Once you pass the road test and pay a license fee ($50) if it was not prepaid, you will receive a temporary license which permits you to drive as a licensed vehicle operator. 

Your official driver’s license will arrive to your mailing address on file with the RMV within 7 to 10 days. 

Key Actions for Getting Your Learner’s Permit and Standard Driver’s License 

Additional Resources for Getting Your Learner’s Permit and Standard Driver’s License 

Identification Requirements

at least 3 documents needed

To be issued a Standard Massachusetts Class D or M Driver's License, you need to prove your identity, birthdate and residency in Massachusetts. Beginning July 1, the RMV will allow for more documents to account for proof of identity and birthdate under the Work and Family Mobility Act, shown below. 

One document from each of the two categories, Option A and Option B, is required. 

Note: There are additional documents you can provide to prove identity and date of birth, which can be found here.  

Option A Option B
Foreign Passport  Driver’s license from any United States state or territory
Consular Identification document  An original or certified copy of a birth certificate from any state or jurisdiction
  Foreign national identification card
  Foreign driver’s license
  A marriage certificate or divorce decree issued by any state or territory of the United States


Note that you must bring certified translations of any documents which are not in English. The translation certification requirements are below.

Social Security Documentation  

Customers must also meet a social security documentation requirement.  

There are three different ways to meet this requirement: 

  1. Provide a social security number (SSN card not necessary) 

  1. Present a denial letter from the Social Security Administration 

  1. If you present a foreign passport or consular ID to meet document requirements, you may sign an affidavit stating that you have never been issued a social security number (RMV will provide a template) 

The full list of acceptable documents, including documents to prove Massachusetts residency, will be updated prior to July 1 to include the newly accepted documents.

Additional Resources for Identification Requirements

Translation Certification Requirements

If any documents are not in English, the RMV will require the document to be accompanied by an English translation with a certification by one of the following:  

  • Language Service Provider  

  • A bilingual teacher at an accredited Massachusetts college, university, or private language school  

  • A bilingual notary public  

  • The local consulate for the document’s country of origin  

    • NOTE: Not all consulates provide translation services. Make sure you confirm with the consulate before choosing this option.

  • The American Translators Association (the national association of professional translators and interpreters)  

  • Community-based organization  

  • U.S. Government agency (state or federal)  

  • Non-profit organization 

Both the translation and certification must be printed on the letterhead of the certifying entity. The RMV will post a template that can be used in the near future. This page will be update when available.

Certifications must include the following information:  

  • Translator’s name (printed)   

  • Date  

  • Translator’s full address  

  • Translator’s telephone number or email address  

  • Translator’s signature  

  • A statement of the translator's qualifications.  

  • A statement affirming the completeness and accuracy of the document.  

  • Identification of the translated document and language.  

Professional Credentials

Customers seeking the following professional credentials are required to provide proof of lawful presence. 

  • School pupil transport driver
  • Professional driving instructor

More information on the requirements for these credentials can be found here.

Dedicated Phone Line for WFMA Information


The RMV has a dedicated information phone line. Call 857-368-9362 (WFMA) to hear information on the new law that takes effect on July 1.

The information line is currently available in 6 different languages. The RMV will add additional languages in the near future.

  • Option 1: English
  • Option 2: Spanish
  • Option 3: Portuguese
  • Option 4: Mandarin
  • Option 5: Haitian Creole
  • Option 6: Vietnamese

Coming Soon

The Registry of Motor Vehicles is committed to ensuring the safety of our roads and providing high quality service to all customers. The registry is preparing for WFMA by: 

  • Translating information and preparation materials in multiple languages 

  • Providing interpretation services for road tests and service centers 

  • Conducting outreach to help customers prepare 

Please check back soon for information on these efforts.

Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback