The Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation protects and empowers consumers through advocacy and education, and ensures a fair playing field for the Massachusetts businesses its agencies regulate.
9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
The Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation, led by Undersecretary Layla R. D'Emilia, oversees the state’s Lemon Laws and Lemon Law Arbitration, Data Breach reporting, Home Improvement Contractor Programs, and the state’s Do Not Call Registry. We help all Massachusetts consumers, home improvement contractors, people seeking help with a recently purchased car, tenants and landlords, and businesses seeking to report a data breach or interested in the data breach notification law.
We also oversee 5 regulatory agencies. Click to see which of our agencies below is best suited to address your concern or question!
Recent news & announcements
Building & Trades
The state regulates building and trades related to construction work and similar projects. Learn about licensing rules in Massachusetts.
- Division of Occupational Licensure: Check a License
- Construction Supervisor Licensing
- Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors Licensing
- Board of State Examiners of Electricians Licensing
- Architect Licensure
- Home Improvement Contractor Registration and Renewal
- DCAMM Contractor Certification
- Home Inspectors Licensing
Division of Occupational Licensure Boards of Registration
The Division of Occupational Licensure oversees 39 boards of registration licenses individuals and businesses in some 167 trades and professions.
- Board of Registration of Architects
- Board of Registration of Cosmetology and Barbering
- Board of State Examiners of Electricians
- Board of Registration in Embalming and Funeral Directing
- Board of Registration of Home Inspectors
- Board of Registration of Landscape Architects
- Board of Registration of Massage Therapy
- Board of Certification of Operators of Drinking Water Supply Facilities
- Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters
- Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors
- Board of Public Accountancy
- Board of Registration of Real Estate Appraisers
- Board of Registration of Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons
- Board of Examiners of Sheet Metal Workers
- Board of Registration of Veterinary Medicine
- Office of Public Safety and Inspections
Massachusetts enforces laws to protect consumers from fraud, deception, and other unfair business practices.
Housing & Property
Do you own or rent property in Massachusetts? Find resources for tenants and landlords, homeowners, developers, and more.
- Affordable Housing
- Attorney General's Fair Housing
- Developers & Contractors
- Disaster Recovery
- Help for Homeless People
- Housing Matters in the Courts
- Mapping and GIS
- Pipeline Safety Information
- Probate of Wills and Estates
- Real Estate Transactions on Behalf of the Commonwealth
- Safety & Inspections
- Unclaimed Property