Note: Only candidates who have filed an application and processing fee or Fee Waiver Form for the original examination by the late filing deadline will be considered for a military makeup with a copy of their orders; if a candidate does not apply and pay online by the original deadline, they will only be considered for a makeup exam with a copy of their DD214 Member 4 or Service 2 form (Member 1 versions will not be accepted), and a request filed within 6 months of their date of discharge.
To reiterate, if you did not apply online by the original deadline you will need to wait until you have received a DD214 proving your inability to apply for the exam online by the original deadline, nor appear for the scheduled exam date; your request must be made within 6 months of discharge. Please click above for more detailed instructions on how to apply for a military makeup exam
Results from the 6/12/2015 Firefighter Make-up have been emailed to all candidates
Last Updated - September 29, 2016
Last Updated - February 3, 2016
Last Updated - July 21, 2015
- Information for military personnel claiming residency preference placement on an eligible list.
- Definition of a Massachusetts Veteran Chart (Link to Veterans' Services website)
- Information outlining the documents required of applicant in order for HRD to determine his or her eligibility for veterans' status and preference under civil service.
Eligibility for Extension upon Return from Active DutyPursuant to Chapter 708 of the Acts of 1941, an applicant who is activated to full-time active duty after he/she passes a civil service exam or after his/her name is placed on an eligible list, may request in writing within six months upon his/her return from active duty, to the Human Resources Division to extend his/her eligibility for a period equal to the period of eligibility remaining at the time he/she commences active military duty. Applicant requesting eligibility extension should also enclose a copy of his/her DD214 Member 4 Form for verification of service.
- Implementation instructions, frequently asked questions and related documents regarding pay and other benefits for State employees called up for active military duty.
- For applicants with veteran's status requesting information and notification of employment opportunities throughout the Commonwealth.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE A DD214 MEMBER 4, SERVICE 2, or STATE DIRECTOR OF VET. AFFAIRS-6 FORM WITH YOUR APPLICATION - Member 1 versions will not be accepted
- The chapter of the Massachusetts General Laws governing the administration of civil service law
- Rules enforced by the Personnel Administrator that establish standards for the implementation of civil service law and supplement Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 31
NOTE: FOR 2013 POLICE OFFICER CANDIDATES UPDATING VET/DV STATUS
If you are submitting a new claim for Veteran or Disabled Veteran status, please be sure to contact the Mass. State Police's Human Resources directly in order to update your status with their agency as well; this only applies to those candidates who took the 2013 Police Officer exam and opted to be included on the State Police as well:
Please contact their office directly: