ALL military personnel who, in connection with current service, have military orders that indicate their unavailability due to military service on the examination date, must file a request for a makeup examination in writing, with a copy of your military orders or DD214 attached, along with fee payment. Please include in your request your email address, daytime base phone number and/or name and phone number of a friend or family member with whom you have regular contact and entrust with your personal communication. Note: Only candidates who have filed an application and processing fee or Fee Waiver Form for the original examination by the late filing deadline will qualify for placement on the eligible list upon passing a military make up examination. - If you do not apply online by the original application deadline, you will not be tested on the first available makeup examination date.
To reiterate, if you did not apply online by the original deadline you will need to wait until you have received a DD214 proving your inability to apply for the exam online by the original deadline, nor appear for the scheduled exam date; your request must be made within 6 months of discharge. Please click above for more detailed instructions on how to apply for a military makeup exam
Links to Reading Lists and other study materials for examinations
Last Updated - December 3, 2014
- Information for military personnel claiming residency preference placement on an eligible list.
- Definition of a Massachusetts Veteran Chart (Link to Veterans' Services website)
- Information outlining the documents required of applicant in order for HRD to determine his or her eligibility for veterans' status and preference under civil service.
Eligibility for Extension upon Return from Active DutyPursuant to Chapter 708 of the Acts of 1941, an applicant who is activated to full-time active duty after he/she passes a civil service exam or after his/her name is placed on an eligible list, may request in writing within six months upon his/her return from active duty, to the Human Resources Division to extend his/her eligibility for a period equal to the period of eligibility remaining at the time he/she commences active military duty. Applicant requesting eligibility extension should also enclose a copy of his/her DD214 Member 4 Form for verification of service.
- Implementation instructions, frequently asked questions and related documents regarding pay and other benefits for State employees called up for active military duty.
- For applicants with veteran's status requesting information and notification of employment opportunities throughout the Commonwealth.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE A DD214 MEMBER 4, SERVICE 2, or STATE DIRECTOR OF VET. AFFAIRS-6 FORM WITH YOUR APPLICATION
- The chapter of the Massachusetts General Laws governing the administration of civil service law
- Rules enforced by the Personnel Administrator that establish standards for the implementation of civil service law and supplement Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 31