2017 Massachusetts Disability Summit
MOD is hosting our third annual Massachusetts Disability Summit: The Topic is Employment Opportunity. For more information, updates, and registration information for this event, please follow the link: Disability Summit Information This event is free and open to the public.
Municipal ADA Improvement Grant Program
The Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD), is pleased to announce the Municipal ADA Improvement Grant Program application and selection process. Eligible applicants include any Massachusetts city, town, special purpose district and/or regional governmental organization. These grants will support capital improvements specifically dedicated to improving programmatic access and/or removing barriers encountered by persons with disabilities in Applicant facilities throughout the Commonwealth. Grants of up to $250,000 will be awarded to successful Applicants to remove barriers and create and improve accessible features and programmatic access for persons with disabilities throughout the Commonwealth. Additional information can be found on our dedicated webpage at www.mass.gov/mod/adagrant.
Call for Art and Juried Art Exhibition
Submit your artwork! The Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD) is now accepting submissions for our 2017 Call for Art and juried art exhibition. We are calling on talented Massachusetts residents of all abilities to submit their original artwork.
Selected entries will be displayed at a public exhibition at the Massachusetts State House in late 2017 and in an online gallery.
A central purpose in holding this exhibition is to showcase the talent of our Commonwealth residents and to present works to the public that will raise awareness of and challenge the barriers and stigma that persons with disabilities may encounter.
Deadline: August 1, 2017.
How Can the Massachusetts Office on Disability (MOD) Help Me?
MOD focuses on the following four areas that can assist customers with all different types of issues.
Americans with Disabilities Act
Community Access Monitor, CAM
Commissions on Disability, CODs
- Provide information and referral to appropriate agencies/programs
- Inform individuals how disability rights apply to their situation
- Provide technical assistance to those seeking reasonable accommodation in housing, employment, education, government, and places of public accommodation
- Re-establish communication with third parties to remove disability-related barriers and restore services
- Offer technical assistance around the obligation to provide reasonable accommodation (RA) for:
- Housing Providers
- State and Local Government
- Educational institutions
- Places of Public Accommodation
- Work to resolve disability-related discrimination and denial of service issues
Client Assistance Program, CAP
- Advocate on behalf of applicants to and clients of vocational rehabilitation (VR) agencies and independent living centers (IL)
- Apprise stakeholders of VR and IL services as well as CAP’s role relative to those programs
- Client Assistance Program (CAP) Brochure - PDF ; PDF (Spanish)
Community Services Program
- Provide technical assistance on the applicability of architectural access codes
- Technical Advisor to the Local Commission on Disabilities
- Runs the Community Access Monitor Program
- Runs the Personal Emergency Preparedness Trainings
- Architectural Review/Site Visits
Government Services Program
MOD frequently assists communities, businesses and advocates; either through plan review or on-site visits, to ensure compliance with the various building requirements specific to persons with disabilities. If you are interested in this free service, please reach out to Jeffrey L. Dougan at (800) 322-2020 or email Jeffrey at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MOD Role as AAB Board Member
- Technical Assistance on Compliance with the various codes
- Massachusetts Architectural Access Board
- Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Standards
- Fair Housing
- Public Rights of Way Guidelines
- Architectural Review/Site Visits
Information - Publications
Disability Handbook for Agencies file size 4MB
Information - Services