130 CMR 450.112 Division of Medical Assistance, Advance Directives
42 CFR 489.100 Advance Directives
- Consumer's Tool Kit for Health Care Advance Planning
, American Bar Association
"To help you in this process, this tool kit contains a variety of self-help worksheets, suggestions, and resources. There are 10 tools in all, each clearly labeled and user-friendly. The tool kit does not create a formal advance directive for you. Instead, it helps you do the much harder job of discovering, clarifying, and communicating what is important to you in the face of serious illness."
- End of Life Care, Executive Office of Health and Human Services.
Includes links to brochures in many languages, regulations, forms and more, regarding Mass. requirement that health care providers "distribute to appropriate patients...culturally and linguistically suitable information regarding the availability of palliative care and end-of-life options."
- Giving Someone a Power of Attorney for Your Health Care
, American Bar Association, 2011
"The form in this guide is a simple version of a Health Care Advance Directive. It allows you to choose someone to make health care decisions for you if you can’t. If you name a health care agent when you are healthy, you will make sure that someone you trust can make health care decisions for you if you become too ill or injured to make them yourself."
- Health Care Proxies and End of Life Care
, Mass. Medical Society
Includes information on health care proxies, living wills, hospice and more
- Massachusetts Medical Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment (MOLST)
, Dept. of Public Health.
Everything you need to know about the law, for patients, families and health care providers. "MOLST is a medical order form (similar to a prescription) that relays instructions between health professionals about a patient's care. MOLST is based on an individual's right to accept or refuse medical treatment, including treatments that might extend life." Site includes forms, videos, and more.
- Ten Things You Should Know About Health Care Proxies and Living Wills
, The Forum for Massachusetts Law
Provides basic guidance in ensuring that your health care proxy complies with legal requirements and adequately protects your wishes
- What’s in Your Health Care Plan?
Honoring Choices Massachusetts
Provides sample health care proxy and personal directive as well as information about durable power of attorney and medical orders for life-sustaining treatment.
- Estate Planning for the Aging or Incapacitated Client in Massachusetts . MCLE, loose-leaf. vol. 1
- How to Write Your Own Living Will . 4th ed. Edward Haman. Sphinx Pub., 2004
- "Living Wills: Validity, Construction and Effect," 49 ALR4th 812
- Massachusetts Elder Law 2d ed. William J. Brisk and Whitney A. Alexander, Lexis, loose-leaf, chap. 6.
- Massachusetts Estate Planning, Will Drafting and Estate Administration Forms: Practice by John H. Clymer, Katherine L. Babson, and Robert G. Bannish, Lexis, loose-leaf, vol. 1 chap. 13.
- Massachusetts Practice vol.23 (Estate Planning) , 3d ed. West Group, 2007 with supplement, chap 3 & 4
- A Practical Guide to Estate Planning in Massachusetts , 3d ed. MCLE, loose-leaf, vol. 2 chap. 8.
- "Propriety of, and Liability Related to, Issuance or Enforcement of Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Orders," 46 ALR 5th 793
- The Right to Die , 3d ed., by Alan Meisel. 2 vols. Aspen, loose-leaf
Last update: January 11, 2017