IFTA is an agreement between the mainland U.S. states and the Canadian provinces requiring a carrier to register and report the fuel use of any qualified motor vehicle that operates in more than one jurisdiction. If Massachusetts is your base jurisdiction, you must renew your IFTA registration for each calendar year (January 1 through December 31) and file quarterly returns.
- IFTA Toolkit for Navigating MassTaxConnect
- Frequently Asked Questions about MassTaxConnect - under Help
- More information on MassTaxConnect
Online Filing Available for IFTA Taxpayers
You can complete your IFTA filings through DOR’s new online system MassTaxConnect. This includes registering for IFTA decals and filing quarterly returns. It’s quick and easy to use.
What is MassTaxConnect?
MassTaxConnect is the Department of Revenue's new secure Web-based application t No additional software or programs are needed to use the new online system; you will access it directly from the DOR website. More information on MassTaxConnect
The benefits of this new system include:
- Easy processing of license and decal requests and quarterly returns
- Automatic tax rates and calculations
- Highlights common errors and mistakes before return is submitted
- Online payment options and confirmations
- Send secure e-message for information or help with your account
- Access account information, including tax bills, returns, notices from DOR 24 hours a day
IFTA Success With MassTaxConnect
The Department of Revenue’s new online tax portal, MassTaxConnect, has completed its first roll out and IFTA taxpayers have been busy making the success of the system possible.
MassTaxConnect, which is set to be fully launched by 2017, is DOR’s way of offering cutting edge technology to our taxpayers. Last November, a small group of taxpayers that included IFTA taxpayers, were a part of the first roll-out of MassTaxConnect. Since, taxpayers have been using the portal regularly and have given the new system great reviews.
“Using MassTaxConnect has been a good experience. It saves me time. Now I don’t have to go all the way to Chelsea to the IFTA headquarters to pay for my IFTA stickers. I’ve been online getting updated ever since I made my profile. I would definitely recommend MassTaxConnect to other IFTA taxpayers.” Joel Deleon – IFTA Taxpayer.
Nearly 70% of IFTA taxpayers have taken advantage of MTC to request their 2015 licenses and order decals. In fact, more than 82% file electronically now and we believe that will continue to increase.