IFTA is an agreement between the mainland U.S. states and the Canadian provinces requiring a carrier to register and report the fuel use of any qualified motor vehicle that operates in more than one jurisdiction. If Massachusetts is your base jurisdiction, you must renew your IFTA registration for each calender year (January 1 through December 31) and file quarterly returns.
For more information on who qualifies as an IFTA taxpayer in Massachusetts and the tax responsibilties, please refer to the IFTA Manual .
NEW! Online Filing Available Soon for IFTA Taxpayers
Beginning this November, you can complete your IFTA filings through DOR’s new online system MassTaxConnect. This includes registering for IFTA decals and filing quarterly returns. It’s quick and easy to use.
The benefits of this new system include:
- Easy processing of license and decal requests and quarterly returns
- Automatic tax rates and calculations
- Highlights common errors and mistakes before return is submitted
- Less time spent on filing quarterly paper returns
- Online payment options with automatic confirmations
- File early and schedule your payments in advance
- Returns can be amended through the electronic filing system
- View and print previously filed returns submitted through MassTaxConnect
- Send secure e-message requests for information or help with your account
- If you are actively using WebFile for Business, you can use the same log in and password forMassTaxConnect
- Access your account summary information, including tax bills, returns, notices from DOR 24 hours a day
The new MassTaxConnect online system will launch November 12, 2014, for all IFTA applications, returns and payments. It is important to note that if you have to apply for 2014 decals, do so through WebFile for Business by November 3, or wait until November 12 and use MassTaxConnect.
Steps you need to take now:
File your third quarter return as you always have. It will be mailed to you as usual, but it will be the last return that you will receive by mail as the IFTA northeast processing center will be closing. Consider filing your third quarter return by Monday, October 27, 2014 to avoid any processing delays.
All other tax filings, including withholding, sales and corporate, will continue to be completed through WebFile for Business.
What is MassTaxConnect?
MassTaxConnect is the Department of Revenue's new secure Web-based application to allow certain business taxpayers to register, file, and/or pay tax obligations online. Initially, MassTaxConnect will only be available to a limited number of taxpayers, including IFTA taxpayers. Access to MassTaxConnect will be available through the DOR website and this webpage on November 12, 2014. No additional software or programs are needed to use the new online system; you will access it directly from the DOR website.