IFTA is an agreement between the mainland U.S. states and the Canadian provinces requiring a carrier to register and report the fuel use of any qualified motor vehicle that operates in more than one jurisdiction. If Massachusetts is your base jurisdiction, you must renew your IFTA registration for each calendar year (January 1 through December 31) and file quarterly returns.
NEW! Online Filing Available for IFTA Taxpayers
You can complete your IFTA filings through DOR’s new online system MassTaxConnect. This includes registering for IFTA decals and filing quarterly returns. It’s quick and easy to use.
The benefits of this new system include:
- Easy processing of license and decal requests and quarterly returns
- Automatic tax rates and calculations
- Highlights common errors and mistakes before return is submitted
- Less time spent on filing quarterly paper returns
- Online payment options with automatic confirmations
- File early and schedule your payments in advance
- Returns can be amended through the electronic filing system
- View and print previously filed returns submitted through MassTaxConnect
- Send secure e-message requests for information or help with your account
- If you are actively using WebFile for Business, you can use the same log in and password for MassTaxConnect
- Access your account summary information, including tax bills, returns, notices from DOR 24 hours a day
The new MassTaxConnect online system is available for all IFTA applications, returns and payments.
What is MassTaxConnect?
MassTaxConnect is the Department of Revenue's new secure Web-based application to allow certain business taxpayers to register, file, and/or pay tax obligations online. Initially, MassTaxConnect will only be available to a limited number of taxpayers, including IFTA taxpayers. No additional software or programs are needed to use the new online system; you will access it directly from the DOR website. More Information on MassTaxConnect