The Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) Agricultural Energy Grant Program (Ag Energy) is a competitive grant program that funds agricultural energy projects in an effort to improve energy efficiency and to facilitate the adoption of alternative clean energy technologies by Massachusetts farms in order that farms can become more sustainable and the Commonwealth can maximize the environmental and economic benefits from these technologies.
Ag-Energy will fund projects up to $20,000 that fall into either the renewable energy category or the energy efficiency category. All farm related energy efficiency and renewable energy projects that meet the program requirements will be considered, although priority will be given to proposals that focus on the technologies listed in the application. Examples of priority projects for renewable energy have included; geothermal, photovoltaics, wind, and solar thermal.
Examples of priority projects for energy efficiency have included; precoolers, variable speed vacuum pumps, thermal blankets, reverse osmosis, and high efficiency refrigeration.
Eligibility and Applying
The farming operation must have received an energy audit/energy assessment, or demonstrate the initiation of such. The operation must be a legally recognized entity within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and must have the ability to enter a legally binding agreement with the Commonwealth. The operation must be an agricultural operation as defined by M.G.L. c.128, Sec. 1A.
The application period is currently closed. Applications usually become available late spring.
USDA 2015 Rural Energy for America Program (REAP)
Energy Efficiency Improvement Grants
Grants and Funding Programs
- Agricultural Energy Grant Program (Ag-Energy)
- Agricultural Environmental Enhancement Program (AEEP)
- Agricultural Food Safety Improvement Program (AFSIP)
- APR Improvement Program (AIP)
- Farm Energy Discount Program
- Farm Viability Enhancement Program (FVEP)
- Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program (MEFAP)
- Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture Program (MEGA)
- Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Retrofit Program
- Urban Agriculture Program