The Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture Program (MEGA) seeks to help Massachusetts’ farmers who have been in business for at least one, but no more than five years, acquire equipment and other non-land assets, or make infrastructure improvements, that can help insure the financial viability of their farm businesses. Matching funds of up to $10,000 are available to implement improvement strategies after individual business review and analysis provided by the Department. Business analysis assistance is an additional program benefit and the value of that service is in addition to the grant award.
It is the objective of the MEGA Program to assist farmers who aspire to develop their farms into commercially viable operations. Priority will be given to new farms that can use program investment to increase farm production, marketing, and income. It is not the objective of the MEGA Program to support “hobby” or rural lifestyle enterprises where only minor consideration is given to the success of the business of agriculture.
Funding provided from this Program will be made available on a one to one matching, cost reimbursement grant basis. The maximum award shall be $10,000. Selected participants will sign a contract with the Department for the agreed upon project. Expenditures made prior to the contract start date will not be eligible for reimbursement. All expenditures must be made by June 30, the end of the state fiscal year.
Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture Applications Available:
The Department of Agricultural Resources has recently announced an open enrollment period for the Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture. The deadline for applications is Wednesday, June 8, 2016. For more information and a copy of the application click on: MEGA Application FY17
For frequently asked questions, click here: MEGA FAQs FY2017
Grants and Funding Programs
- Agricultural Energy Grant Program (Ag-Energy)
- Agricultural Energy Special Project Grant Program (ENER-SP)
- Agricultural Environmental Enhancement Program (AEEP)
- Agricultural Food Safety Improvement Program (AFSIP)
- APR Improvement Program (AIP)
- Farm Energy Discount Program
- Farm Viability Enhancement Program (FVEP)
- Massachusetts Emergency Food Assistance Program (MEFAP)
- Matching Enterprise Grants for Agriculture Program (MEGA)
- Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Retrofit Program
- Stewardship Assistance and Restoration on APRs (SARA)
- Urban Agriculture Program