Spring Trout Stocking
Close to 500,000 brook, brown, rainbow and tiger trout will be stocked this spring from MassWildlife’s five hatcheries located in Sandwich, Palmer, Belchertown, Sunderland, and Montague. The close to 500,000 fish being stocked this spring, coupled with the more than 66,000 12+ inch trout stocked last fall, should provide some excellent fishing in the coming months. Stocking is scheduled to begin in the southeastern area of the state during the first full week of March with other regions of the state expected to follow soon after.
2016 spring trout stocking stats:
- 55% of the fish average over 14 inches
- 72% of the fish average over 12 inches
- 215,700 rainbows will average over 14 inches
- 39,350 rainbows will average over 12 inches
- 10,000 rainbows will average between 9 and 12 inches
- 530 brown trout will be over 18 inches
- 48,500 brown trout will average over 12 inches
- 80,600 brown trout average between 9 and 12 inches
- 940 brook trout will average over 15 inches
- 41,900 brook trout will average over 12 inches
- 46740 brook trout between 9 and 12 inches
- 2,900 tiger trout that will average over 14 inches
Fall Trout Stocking
Fall Trout Stocking varies each year. Stocking takes place during a 2-week period (depending on water temperatures), beginning in the last week of September and ending before Columbus Day weekend. Fall stocking reports - updated daily - are now available at Mass.gov/Trout. The trout stocked waters pages provide a list of Massachusetts waters that are usually stocked in the spring and fall.
Fresh water anglers are reminded that the use of lead sinkers and lead jigs weighing less than one ounce, regardless of whether they are painted, coated with rubber, covered by attached "skirts" or some other material, is prohibited. More info...