- Answers to Common Asbestos Questions
Learn about asbestos, its health and environmental effects, and requirements for its safe removal, handling and disposal.
- MassDEP Asbestos Information & Resource Guide
Includes federal and state contact information, regulations and answers to frequently asked questions.
MassDEP Asbestos & Construction/Demolition Notification Forms
- BWP AQ 04 (ANF-001) - Asbestos Removal Notification
Prior notification of asbestos abatement work is required by the regulations of two Commonwealth Agencies, the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) and the Department of Labor Standards (DLS).
- BWP AQ 05 - Application for Asbestos Blanket Notification Approval
Blanket notifications provide flexibility for incidental maintenance at facilities that contain significant amounts of asbestos-containing material or where it is routine to encounter situations in which asbestos needs to be abated immediately, and for planned long-term, large-scale abatement projects.
- BWP AQ 06 - Construction/Demolition Notification
MassDEP requires notification 10 working days before construction or demolition of a building, except for a residential building of fewer than 20 units.
- BWP AQ 36 - Application for Non-Traditional Asbestos Abatement Work Practice Approval
These approvals - previously issued informally as “Alternative Work Practice Approvals" - require submission of this form. There is a $600 fee associated with this permit application.
- Massachusetts Asbestos Waste Shipment Record Template - June 2014
The MassDEP Asbestos Regulation at 310 CMR 7.15(18) requires that each shipment of Asbestos-Containing Waste Material be accompanied by a Waste Shipment Record. Supplies of forms based on templates provided by the federal government or other states may be used until December 31, 2014. After that date, form based on this template must be used for shipments generated and/or disposed of in Massachusetts. Haulers may use this template to produce their own four-part forms so each party to a shipment can be given a copy.
MassDEP Regulations, Policies & Guidance
- 310 CMR 7.00: Air Pollution Control Regulations
Specifically see Section 7.09: Dust, Odor, Construction & Demolition and Section 7.15: Removal & Disposal of Asbestos
- 310 CMR 7.15: Final Asbestos Amendments - June 2014
- Fact Sheet: MassDEP's Revised Asbestos Regulation - June 2014
Describes regulatory reform amendments to state air pollution control requirements at 310 CMR 7.00 and 7.15, and how they will affect property owners, asbestos abatement contractors, waste transporters and disposal facilities.
- Frequently Asked Questions About the MassDEP Asbestos Regulation (310 CMR 7.15) - June 2015
- Video: Revised MassDEP Asbestos Regulation
Presentation on the June 2014 amendments to 310 CMR 7.15 given at outreach sessions for asbestos abatement, analysis and training professionals.
- Presentation: January 2015 Asbestos Outreach Sessions for Municipal Officials
Information about how the 2014 regulatory amendments affect demolition and renovation work in municipally-owned and regulated buildings.
- MassDEP/Department of Labor Standards Memorandum of Agreement on Coordination of Asbestos Programs
Signed in June 2014.
- 310 CMR 19.000: Solid Waste Management Facility Regulations
Specifically see Section 19.061: Special Waste Disposal Requirements
- Asbestos Cement Pipe Guidance Document
Explains how to safely remove and dispose of asbestos cement pipes in compliance with MassDEP asbestos regulations. Amended in May 2015.
- Managing Asbestos-Containing Material Received at Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events
A summary of regulatory requirements for event sponsors.
- Water Supply Asbestos Monitoring Requirements
All community and non-community non-transient public water systems are required to monitor for asbestos in distribution lines every nine years, during the first 3-year monitoring period of each nine-year cycle, unless a waiver is granted. Updated January 2015.
- Asbestos in Distribution System Exemption Form
May be submitted by water suppliers who are able to certify that their distribution systems do not contain any asbestos-cement pipe and/or asbestos-cement vinyl lined pipe.
Department of Labor Standards Asbestos Regulation & Licensing
- DLS Asbestos Program
Regulates occupational asbestos exposure in Massachusetts. Works with employers, employees, unions and state and local agencies to create healthier and safer work conditions through site visits, analytical services and technical information.
- DLS Asbestos License Lists
Find licensed asbestos analytical laboratories, contractors and training providers in Massachusetts.