Massachusetts Contingency Plan (MCP)
- 310 CMR 40.0000: Massachusetts Contingency Plan
Effective 4/25/2014 and 6/20/2014
This copy of the Massachusetts Contingency Plan, 310 CMR 40, is not an "Official Version" of the regulations. In particular, it lacks page numbers and the effective dates at the bottom of each page. Other unexpected differences may also be present. This HTML version is offered as a convenience to our users and DEP believes that the body of the text is a faithful copy of the regulations. If you REALLY, ABSOLUTELY, MUST know that the version you have is correct and up-to-date, then you must purchase the document through the State Bookstore. The official versions of all state statutes and regulations are only available through the Massachusetts State Bookstore .
- 310 CMR 40.0000 - Massachusetts Contingency Plan (MCP) file size 2MB
file size 3MB
Effective 4/25/2014 and 6/20/2014
While most provisions take effect June 20, 2014, there are certain regulations that took effect on April 25, 2014, including:
- The Reportable Concentrations for Oil and Hazardous Material in groundwater or soil listed in the Massachusetts Oil and Hazardous Material List at 310 CMR 40.1600;
- The elimination of the requirement to submit an initial Tier I Permit Application, formerly 310 CMR 40.0704, from 310 CMR 40.0000; and
- RPs, PRPs or Other Persons may conduct an initial Tier Classification of a disposal site in accordance with the Tier Classification Process and Basis for Tier Classification in 310 CMR 40.0510 and 310 CMR 40.0520, respectively.
- MCP Numerical Standards
- MCP Numerical Standards Tables file size 1MB
This file contains Tables 1 through 6 from Subpart I, reformatted to remove shading so that they are more readable when printed. The page breaks and page numbers correspond with the same in the official published version. You may print these as replacement pages for your printed copy.
- Final Amendments to the Massachusetts Contingency Plan, 310 CMR 40.0000 Clean Version file size 1MB
- Final Amendments to the Massachusetts Contingency Plan, 310 CMR 40.0000 Redline/Strikeout Version file size 1MB
- Response to Comment Document
This document summarizes the public comment received on the public hearing draft of the proposed MCP amendments and MassDEP’s response to those comments.
- MCP Numerical Standards and Reportable Concentration Changes (RCs)
This spreadsheet provides a comparison of the MCP Standards and RCs in the 2014 final MCP amendments to the preceding values.
New and Revised Guidance, Policy & Documentation to Implement 2014 MCP Revisions
- WSC-14-435 Vapor Intrusion Guidance: Public Review Draft
MassDEP will be holding a pre-comment discussion meeting on this draft guidance on December 11, 2014, MassDEP, One Winter Street, Boston, 2nd floor, from 9:30 am to 11:30 am. Written comments on this document should be submitted to Gerard.Martin@state.ma.us by February 2, 2015.
- 2014 Revised Draft Vapor Intrusion Guidance: Pre-Public Comment External Workgroup Meeting file size 6MB
Presentation given at the December 11, 2014 pre-public comment meeting on the draft Vapor Intrusion Guidance.
- WSC-14-150 Greener Cleanups Guidance
October 20, 2014
- MCP Errata – Technical Corrections 10/21/14
MCP Technical Corrections – Above is a list of corrections of transcription errors found in the MCP Amendments effective June 20, 2014. MassDEP will be filing these technical corrections with the Secretary of State in the Fall 2014. If you discover any additional technical corrections, please send the information to BWSC.Regulations@state.ma.us on or before October 10, 2014. We appreciate your assistance.
- New MCP Questions and Answers in support of the amendments to the Massachusetts Contingency Plan (310 CMR 40.0000) published April 25, 2014 (fully effective June 20, 2014)
- LNAPL AND THE MCP: GUIDANCE FOR SITE ASSESSMENT AND CLOSURE file size 1MB
Public Review Draft, July 1, 2014
- Public Comments on the LNAPL Guidance Document file size 3MB
- AUL Guidance: Public Review Draft file size 2MB
- LSPA Comments on MassDEP Draft AUL Guidance
- Best Management Practices (“BMPs”) for Gardening at Remediated M.G.L. Chapter 21E Disposal Sites: Public Review Draft
- Remote Telemetry Information for Active Exposure Pathway Mitigation Measures
- Instructions for Newspaper Public Notices of Response Action Status
- MCP Timelines and Fees
- Summary of the Fee Changes Related to the 2014 Massachusetts Contingency Plan (MCP) Revisions
- 310 CMR 40.1099 Forms for Activity and Use Limitations (effective date June 20, 2014)
310 CMR 40.0000 - 2013 MCP Public Hearing Draft and Public Comment
- MCP Regulatory Reform Blog
- Summary of the Proposed Amendments
- Public Hearing Draft MCP Amendments - Clean Version file size 1MB file size 1MB
- Public Hearing Draft MCP Amendments - Redline/Strikeout Version file size 1MB file size 2MB
- Blog: Support Material for Revised MCP Method 1 Standards
Massachusetts Oil & Hazardous Materials List
- The Massachusetts Oil and Hazardous Materials List ("MOHML"), 310 CMR 40.1600
The Reportable Quantities (RQs) and Reportable Concentrations (RCs) for hundreds of chemicals. The RQs and RCs are used in combination with the notification requirements specified in Subpart C of the Massachusetts Contingency Plan to determine whether a release to the environment must be reported to MassDEP.
- The Massachusetts Oil and Hazardous Materials List (""MOHML""), Alphabetical List
Updated April 25, 2014
- The Massachusetts Oil and Hazardous Materials List (""MOHML""), List by CAS number
Updated April 25, 2014
- Online Searchable Massachusetts Oil and Hazardous Materials List (MOHML)
Updated April 25, 2014.
- Reportable Concentrations in Groundwater and Soil
Updated April 25, 2014. Excerpted from the Massachusetts Oil and Hazardous Materials List