MassDEP does not regulate bottled water. Bottled water is regulated as a food in Massachusetts, with the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) holding regulatory authority. We provide some informational resources on the topic here.
- Drinking Water Policy 91-09: Use of Bottled Water by Public Water Suppliers
- Department of Public Health: Bottled Water
The Department of Public Health website includes information on licensing bottlers, safety testing, lists of bottled water sources, and Massachusetts regulations relating to bottled water and other beverages.
- Proper Care of Bottled Water & Dispensers for Schools
MassDEP's recommendations for maintenance of water coolers and bottled water dispensers in schools, to ensure high quality and prevent disease outbreaks.
- Color, Taste, and Odor: What you should know
These aesthetic issues with tap water could be indicators of a problem with the supply. This fact sheet describes the problems and what the consumer can do. Using bottled water as either a short- or long-term alternative to tap water is one solution. August 2005.
- Drinking Water Health & Safety
Resources on drinking water health and safety, including information on home treatment, common contaminants, public health issues, water testing, and more.
- Bottled Water: US EPA Definition of Human Consumption
US EPA Memorandum clarifying the system status of a non-transient non-community water system which supplies piped water for lavatories and sinks but bottled water for human consumption.
- US EPA: Drinking Water Consumer Information
Resources on a variety of drinking water topics, including water quality, public health, dealing with emergencies, and more.
- Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC): Issues - Bottled Water
The National Resources Defense Council's Q&A on bottled water sources, safety, and environmental impacts, particularly the composition and disposal of bottles.
- US Food & Drug Administration: Bottled Water Everywhere: Keeping It Safe
While US EPA regulates water supply safety, the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the bottled-water industry. This FDA page is a useful outline of basic information on bottled water types, sources, and safety.
- US Food & Drug Administration: Bottled Water Regulation
The U.S. Food & Drug Administration regulates bottled water as a food. This web page provides links to Federal regulations and rules governing bottled water and allowable levels of certain chemicals in the water.