If you file taxes, look for new tax forms this year. We will be mailing these forms to some members in January and February 2017.

Why are you getting a new tax form?

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has rules about health insurance coverage. You need to have health insurance that meets a standard called Minimum Essential Coverage (MEC). If you have MEC, you will not have to pay a fee or penalty.

The following types of MassHealth coverage are MEC.

  • MassHealth Standard
  • MassHealth CommonHealth
  • MassHealth Family Assistance
  • MassHealth CarePlus

The following types of coverage are not MEC. If you have any of these types of coverage, we will not send you Form 1095-B.

  • MassHealth Limited
  • Health Safety Net (HSN)
  • Children’s Medical Security Plan (CMSP)

Visit the MassHealth Coverage Types to learn more or call us at 1-800-841-2900.

Visit the Types of health insurance that count as coverage web page for information on what counts as MEC.

Form 1095-B

You will need this new form if you fill out a federal tax form (for the IRS).

Form MA 1099-HC. 

You will need this form if you fill out the Massachusetts state income tax form.

For Your Federal Income Tax Return: Form 1095-B

If we send you the 1095-B, you will need it to fill out your federal income tax return. Form 1095-B shows the months you had MassHealth coverage in 2016. MassHealth shares the information on the 1095-B with the IRS.

Important: MassHealth will mail a separate Form 1095-B to each covered person in a household.

To learn more about Form1095-B, visit the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-1095-B.


For Your State Income Tax Return: MA 1099-HC

If we send you MA 1099-HC, you will need it to fill out your state income tax return. Like the federal 1095-B form, the 1099-HC shows each month you had MassHealth coverage in 2016.

Important: Some people who get the federal 1095-B form do not need to get the MA 1099-HC. If the 1099-HC was not in your envelope, you do not need it to fill out your state income tax return.

For more information about the Form 1099-HC and Massachusetts health care coverage, visit the DOR Taxpayer Help & Resources web page.

Please note: If you get both forms, the health coverage shown on your federal 1095-B may be different from the coverage shown on the state 1099-HC. This is because the federal and state rules for MEC are different.


What if I can’t find my Form 1095-B or 1099-HC from MassHealth?

If you can’t find your 1095-B or 1099-HC, you can call us for a replacement copy. Remember that not everyone gets both forms. The phone number is 1-866-682-6745 (TTY: 1-800-497-4648 for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech disabled). We are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


What if I think the information on the Form 1095-B or 1099-HC isn’t right?

If you think the information on any form we’ve sent you is wrong, please call us at 1-866-682-6745 (TTY: 1-800-497-4648).



This information is provided by MassHealth.