The Registry collects, processes, corrects and issues copies of vital records (birth, death and marriage) that occurred in Massachusetts from 1926 to the present. Records for events that occurred from 1841-1925 are available at the State Archives (617) 727-2816. Earlier records may be available at the City or Town of Occurrence. There are several functions that the Registry performs. Select your area of interest:
For the Public
- Information on genealogical research
- By Mail
- On Line
- In Person
- Information on ordering a birth certificate for a person born to a single parent or parents who were not married at the time of birth
- Information on making changes to a Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, or Death Certificate
For Data Partners (Members of the medical community, funeral homes, and municipal clerks)
- Information on the Vitals Information Partnership (VIP) system
- Information on registration and preparation of vital records (forms and fact sheets)
- Information on making changes and corrections to vital records
The Registry of Vital Records and Statistics is part of the Office of Data Management and Outcomes Assessment .
This information is provided by the Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics within the Department of Public Health.