The Board of Building Regulations and Standard (BBRS) welcomes you to the Massachusetts building code webpage.
- For building code requirements scroll down on this page.
- For information on the stretch energy code click this link: Stretch Energy Code
- For more information related to the building code and BBRS click this link: BBRS
- January 17, 2013: The BBRS is considering adoption of the IECC 2012 and will determine the length of the concurrency period with the IECC 2009. An updated Stretch Energy Code which is in development may follow.
The 8th edition of the building code uses primarily 2009 code books published by the International Code Council (ICC) with separate amendment packages published by Massachusetts.
- To purchase code books contact ICC at www.iccsafe.org or a major book vendor.
- To view-only the International Codes follow this link: ICC Codes
- To purchase Massachusetts amendments contact the State Bookstore (617-727-2834).
Please note electronic versions of the building code are not official.
Using the 8th Edition: To find the latest requirement in the base volume:
- Find the topic in the International Building Code (IBC) 2009.
- Check the link below entitled '8th Edition Base Volume - (August 2010) Massachusetts Amendments' for that topic.
- Check under 'Amendments since August 2010' listed below for any recent changes
For example, after (first) looking in the IBC for high-rise elevator requirements in chapter 4, section 403.6 and (second) checking the 8th Edition Base Volume (August 2010) Massachusetts Amendments version listed below to find that it has been amended, you'll notice (third) that it has been further amended recently under "Amendments since August 2010", listed below, for section 403.6.1.
8th Edition Base Volume
8th Edition Base Volume - (August 2010) Massachusetts Amendments
- Amendments since August 2010
- 4.03.6.1 Fire access elevators in high rises
- 5.04.2 Height increase with sprinklers, 2-3-12
- 9.03.3.1.1 Antifreeze in sprinklers, NFPA 2010, 02-17-12
- 9.07.2.24, Smoke detectors in other sleeping areas 2-4-11
- 30.07 Fire access elevators in high rises
- 31.11, Temporary overnight shelters, final 12-7-12
- 34.01, IEBC 102.6, Temporary overnight shelters, final 12-7-12
115.0, IECC 2-3-12
- 1.01.3 Adopt and rescind
- Table 5.05.5.2- lighting pwr density, 5.07.1-alt prescriptive packages
- Official Code Interpretations by the BBRS
- Comments on current issue
- Supplemental Information - Base Code
8th Edition Residential Volume
- 8th Edition Residential Volume - (February 4, 2011) Massachusetts Amendments
- Amendments since February 2011 (none to date)
- Comments on current issue
- Supplemental Information Res
Building Code Laws
Recently expired editions of the code are provided below for reference:
- 7th Edition One and Two Family Dwelling Volume (Expired August 4, 2011)
7th Edition One and Two Family Dwellings - (January 2008)
- Amendments since January 2008
- 51.00, Remove HIC file size 3MB - (2-5-10)
- 51.01, Townhouse, coordinate with 8th (640kb)
- 51.08.3.5.2 Pool Exemption - (5-2-08) (143kb)
- 51.08.3.5.2, Delete Solar CSL Exemption file size 2MB
51.11 Trench Permits - (1-9-09) (759kb)
- 53.00, Townhouse, coordinate with 8th (854kb)
- 53.01.2 Table(4) Wind and Snow - (8-8-08) (138kb)
- 53.05.1 Basement Ceiling Height - (1-9-09) (306kb)
- 184.108.40.206.3, Stair Riser Opening (5-18-09, Emergency) (94kb)
- 53.12.2 Guard Opening Limitations - (4-16-08) (182kb)
- 220.127.116.11, Sprinklers, Antifreeze, Emergency (182kb)
- 61.00 Energy Efficiency - (10-17-08) (56kb)
- 61.00, Energy Efficiency, 2009 IECC, (1-1-10) Emergency, Concurrent (113kb)
- 61.00, Energy, 2009 IECC, Final (7-1-10) (477kb)
- 93.00 Bsmnt Ceiling Height and Energy Conservtn (1-9-09) (148kb)
- 93.00, Energy, 2009 IECC, Final (7-1-10) (423kb)
- 93.07, Energy Conservtn, 2009 IECC, (1-1-10) Emerg, Concurrent (162kb)
- Additional Amendments and ERRATA
7th Edition Base Volume - (Expired February 5, 2011)