These pension calculators will give members of the Massachusetts Employees' State Retirement System in groups 1, 2 or 4 an approximation of their retirement benefits.
The calculators now provide estimates for members of the State Employees Retirement System (1) who entered service before April 2, 2012; and (2) entered service on or after April 2, 2012. Please select the appropriate calculator option below based on the date you entered into service.
If you are a member of the State Police Department, a judge, a correction officer seeking a "20/50" retirement, or would like an estimate for a Section 10(2) (termination allowance) or disability retirement, please contact the retirement board for more information.
Please note that actual pension amounts can ONLY be calculated at the time of retirement under M.G.L. c.32.
Generally, retirement benefits are based on four factors:
- Your age
- Your years and months of creditable service
- For members entering service before April 2, 2012 please enter the average of your highest thirty-six consecutive months of annual regular compensation.
- For members entering service on or after April 2, 2012 please enter the average of your highest sixty consecutive months of annual regular compensation.
- Your group classification (Group class is determined by the State Board of Retirement at time of retirement upon receipt and review of a Group Classification Application)
Retirement Allowance Options
- Option A - Full retirement allowance; all benefits stop upon your death.
- Option B - Reduced (1-5% less than Option A) retirement allowance, designated beneficiary(ies) receives lump sum payment of the balance of your annuity upon your death.
- Option C - Reduced (approximately 7-15% less than Option A) retirement allowance. However, this reduction could be greater depending on the age difference between you and your beneficiary. Upon your death, your designated beneficiary will be paid a monthly allowance for the remainder of his or her life. The survivor benefit will be equal to two-thirds of the allowance that was being paid to you at the time of your death.
Select the appropriate option below based on the date you entered service.
By using this calculator, I understand that the Massachusetts State Employees' Retirement System is not bound by estimates given.
For members entering service before April 2, 2012. I agree. Click here to open Calculator.
For members entering service on or after April 2, 2012. I agree. Click here to open Calculator.