The MassGIS Base Map, available in OLIVER, is a general-reference map that contains a variety of features, all from the MassGIS database. The map was designed by MassGIS staff in ESRI's ArcMap 10.2.1 software and was cached (pre-rendered) for the Web using ArcGIS Server 10.2.1. The caching process greatly speeds the display of all basemap features.
In OLIVER, the map actually is "constructed" with base features (terrain, natural features) that may be added from the Basemaps menu in the lower right corner of the OLIVER interface, and overlaid with three cached "tiled layers". Features and their data sources include:
- "MassGIS Statewide Basemap" (cache date 2/14/14): Shaded Relief (MassGIS); States outside Massachusetts (MassGIS, USGS); Water bodies and rivers, Wetlands, Cranberry Bogs, Tidal Flats (large- and medium-scales - MassDEP and MassGIS , small-scales - USGS ); Elevation Contours (large-scale - MassGIS , small-scale - USGS ); Protected Open Space (Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, MassGIS)
The three other cached map layers, available from the "Tiled Layers" menu in OLIVER are as follows:
- "Detailed Features" (cache date 3/4/14):
- Political Boundaries: Massachusetts cities and towns, counties and state border ( Community Boundaries (Towns) from Survey Points , MassGIS)
- Transportation: Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) Roads (MassDOT, MassGIS); MBTA subway and Commuter Rail lines and stations (Central Transportation Planning Staff, MassGIS); Airports, Ferry Routes and Seaports ( MassDOT ); Airport Runways and Airfields (Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency (MEMA))
- Infrastructure and Facilities: Lighthouses and Lights (Massachusetts Coastal Zone Management); Schools (Pre-K - High School) (Massachusetts Department of Education, MassGIS); Colleges and Universities (MassGIS); Acute Care Hospitals (Massachusetts Department of Public Health Office of Emergency Medical Services); Police Stations , Fire Stations , Town Halls (MEMA)
- "Structures" (cache date 3/21/14): Building Structures (2-D, from 2011-2012 Ortho Imagery) (MassGIS)
- "Tax Parcels" (cache date 11/7/13): Level 3 Assessors' Parcel Mapping (MassGIS)
See the individual data layer pages (links above) for dates of each dataset.
The legends for the basemap and tiled layers (click on legend image to view larger size):
Last Updated 3/21/2014