On April 10, the Supreme Judicial Court was presented with the portrait of the Honorable Margaret H. Marshall at a formal portrait unveiling ceremony in the Seven Justice Courtroom of the John Adams Courthouse. The Hon. Marshall (Chief Justice, Supreme Judicial Court, 1999-2010) stands here with Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants and the portrait that was painted by artist Mary Hampson Minifie. Click here to learn more. (Photo courtesy of Wayne Jackson/FayFoto)
The Supreme Judicial Court is the Commonwealth's highest appellate court. It consists of a Chief Justice and six Associate Justices. The seven Justices hear appeals on a broad range of criminal and civil cases from September through May and issue written opinions that are posted online. Learn more about the Court.
News & Announcements
- New Uniform Trial Court Rules for Civil Commitment Proceedings for Alcohol and Substance Abuse
- SJC Full Bench Recently Transferred Cases Posted (July 23, 2015)
- Sign up for updates from the SJC Clerk for the Commonwealth
- Statement from Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants, Trial Court Chief Justice Paula M. Carey and Trial Court Administrator Harry Spence on Administration Veto of Budget
- Supreme Judicial Court Announces Appointment of Executive Director to the Board of Bar Overseers
- The Supreme Judicial Court's Standing Advisory Committee on the Rules of Professional Conduct Invites Comments on Proposed Revisions to Rules 5.4 and 5.5 of the Rules of Professional Conduct
- Statements from Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants and Appeals Court Chief Justice Phillip Rapoza on the Governor's Announcement of Nomination of Appeals Court Chief Justice
- Notice Inviting Comment on Proposed Amendments to Rule 1:15 of the Rules of the Supreme Judicial Court
- Supreme Judicial Court Seeking Nominees to the Court’s Standing Advisory Committee on the Rules of Professional Conduct
- Pro Bono Honor Roll materials for calendar year 2014 now available
- See All News & Announcements
Supreme Judicial Court Offices
- Clerk's Office for the Commonwealth
The Office of the Clerk for the Commonwealth maintains the docket and calendar for the Supreme Judicial Court full bench, attends sessions of the full court, maintains the docket, processes pertinent filings, serves as the court's liaison to parties or their counsel and is the keeper of the records.
- Clerk's Office for The County of Suffolk
The Clerk's Office for the County of Suffolk is primarily responsible for the single justice caseload of the Supreme Judicial Court, matters filed by the Board of Bar Overseers pertaining to attorney discipline and administrative matters affecting members of the bar, and matters relating to admission to the Bar and the practice of law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Office of the Reporter of Decisions
The Office of the Reporter of Decisions publishes and maintains the official written opinions of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the Appeals Court.
- Public Information Office
The Public Information Office of the Supreme Judicial Court is the central communications office for media and public inquiries and requests concerning the Massachusetts judicial branch.