On December 6, the Supreme Judicial Court heard oral arguments in four cases in a special sitting at the Lawrence District Court attended by high school students from Lawrence High School, Greater Lawrence Technical High School and Central Catholic High School (Photo credit: Matt Stone / Boston Herald). Read more about the Special Sitting in Lawrence
The Supreme Judicial Court is the Commonwealth's highest appellate court. It consists of a Chief Justice and six Associate Justices. The seven Justices hear appeals on a broad range of criminal and civil cases from September through May and issue written opinions that are posted online. Learn more about the Court.
News & Announcements
- Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants Delivers Remarks at the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center on December 16, 2016
- Supreme Judicial Court Hears Oral Arguments in Four Cases in Special Sitting in Lawrence
- At Ceremonial Swearing In, Supreme Judicial Court Justice Budd Says, "It is through the Courts that the Rule of Law is enforced— it is the Rule of Law which stands between order and chaos."
- In Remarks at Ceremonial Swearing In, Supreme Judicial Court Justice Lowy Says, "The SJC decision making process is what I hoped it would be"
- Massachusetts Awarded Grant to Improve Access to Justice
- Notice: Adoption of Uniform Bar Examination
Read more news
Supreme Judicial Court Offices
- Clerk's Office for the Commonwealth
The Office of the Clerk for the Commonwealth maintains the docket and calendar for the Supreme Judicial Court full bench, attends sessions of the full court, maintains the docket, processes pertinent filings, serves as the court's liaison to parties or their counsel and is the keeper of the records.
- Clerk's Office for The County of Suffolk
The Clerk's Office for the County of Suffolk is primarily responsible for the single justice caseload of the Supreme Judicial Court, matters filed by the Board of Bar Overseers pertaining to attorney discipline and administrative matters affecting members of the bar, and matters relating to admission to the Bar and the practice of law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Office of the Reporter of Decisions
The Office of the Reporter of Decisions publishes and maintains the official written opinions of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the Appeals Court.
- Public Information Office
The Public Information Office of the Supreme Judicial Court is the central communications office for media and public inquiries and requests concerning the Massachusetts judicial branch.