The first sitting of the full panel of Supreme Judicial Court Justices for the 2014-2015 court year begins on Tuesday, September 2, and ends on Friday, September 5, 2014. This is the first full court sitting with Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants presiding over the court, following his July 28, 2014, swearing in ceremony administered by Governor Deval L. Patrick. The Supreme Judicial Court hears oral arguments the first full week of every month from September through May. Court sessions are held in Courtroom 1 on the second floor of the John Adams Courthouse and are open to the public. Click here to view the calendar of cases to be heard this week.
The Supreme Judicial Court is the Commonwealth's highest appellate court. It consists of a Chief Justice and six Associate Justices. The seven Justices hear appeals on a broad range of criminal and civil cases from September through May and issue written opinions that are posted online. Learn more about the Court.
News & Announcements
- Notice Inviting Comment on Proposed Amendments to Supreme Judicial Court Rule 1:14
- Supreme Judicial Court Announces Committee to Examine Juror Voir Dire
- Honorable Geraldine S. Hines Sworn In as Associate Justice of the Supreme Judicial Court
- Honorable Ralph D. Gants of the Supreme Judicial Court Administered Oath of Office
- Proposed Amendment to Rule 14 of the Massachusetts Rules of Criminal Procedure to Add Rule 14(b)(2)(C)
- Invitation to Comment on Proposed Amendments to Rule 45 of the Mass. Rules of Civil Procedure
- SJC now accepting judicial law clerk applications
- Standing Advisory Committee's Supplemental Report to the Justices Concerning Proposed Revisions to the Rules of Professional Conduct
Read more news
Supreme Judicial Court Offices
Clerk's Office for the Commonwealth
The Office of the Clerk for the Commonwealth maintains the docket and calendar for the Supreme Judicial Court full bench, attends sessions of the full court, maintains the docket, processes pertinent filings, serves as the court's liaison to parties or their counsel and is the keeper of the records.
Clerk's Office for The County of Suffolk
The Clerk's Office for the County of Suffolk is primarily responsible for the single justice caseload of the Supreme Judicial Court, matters filed by the Board of Bar Overseers pertaining to attorney discipline and administrative matters affecting members of the bar, and matters relating to admission to the Bar and the practice of law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Office of the Reporter of Decisions
The Office of the Reporter of Decisions publishes and maintains the official written opinions of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the Appeals Court.
Public Information Office
The Public Information Office of the Supreme Judicial Court is the central communications office for media and public inquiries and requests concerning the Massachusetts judicial branch.