Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants made special remarks in the Seven Justice Courtroom prior to oral arguments on Monday, April 3, welcoming recently appointed Supreme Judicial Court Justice Elspeth B. Cypher to the Court (first seat, far right). Justice Cypher was administered the official oath by Governor Charlie Baker on Friday, March 31. She fills the seat vacated by Justice Margot Botsford, who retired on March 15. Read more about Justice Cypher.
The Supreme Judicial Court is the Commonwealth's highest appellate court. It consists of a Chief Justice and six Associate Justices. The seven Justices hear appeals on a broad range of criminal and civil cases from September through May and issue written opinions that are posted online. Learn more about the Court.
News & Announcements
- Supreme Judicial Court Dismisses Over 21,000 Cases Affected by the Breach at the Hinton State Laboratory Institute
- High School Students Participate in Student Government Day Activities at Supreme Judicial Court
- Supreme Judicial Court Selects Jonathan S. Williams as Massachusetts Trial Court Administrator
- Supreme Judicial Court Announces New Committee to Study Grand Jury Proceedings
Read more news
Supreme Judicial Court Offices
- Clerk's Office for the Commonwealth
The Office of the Clerk for the Commonwealth maintains the docket and calendar for the Supreme Judicial Court full bench, attends sessions of the full court, maintains the docket, processes pertinent filings, serves as the court's liaison to parties or their counsel and is the keeper of the records.
- Clerk's Office for The County of Suffolk
The Clerk's Office for the County of Suffolk is primarily responsible for the single justice caseload of the Supreme Judicial Court, matters filed by the Board of Bar Overseers pertaining to attorney discipline and administrative matters affecting members of the bar, and matters relating to admission to the Bar and the practice of law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Office of the Reporter of Decisions
The Office of the Reporter of Decisions publishes and maintains the official written opinions of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the Appeals Court.
- Public Information Office
The Public Information Office of the Supreme Judicial Court is the central communications office for media and public inquiries and requests concerning the Massachusetts judicial branch.