On October 21, at a ceremony in the Seven Justice Courtroom of the John Adams Courthouse, Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants presented Adams Pro Bono Publico Awards to four recipients for their distinguished service and outstanding commitment to providing legal services for those in need. From left: Boston University Law School graduate Elizabeth McIntyre; Attorney Valquiria Castiglione Ribeiro; Chief Justice Gants; Attorney Seth Orkand; Hon. Patrick Fox (ret.).Read more.
The Supreme Judicial Court is the Commonwealth's highest appellate court. It consists of a Chief Justice and six Associate Justices. The seven Justices hear appeals on a broad range of criminal and civil cases from September through May and issue written opinions that are posted online. Learn more about the Court.
News & Announcements
- Supreme Judicial Court Announces Interim Procedure for Attorney and Self-Represented Party Participation in Juror Voir Dire
- New amicus announcements posted (December 2014)
- Recently transferred cases by the SJC from Appeals Court posted
- State Judicial Leaders Speak at Event Announcing Boston Court Service Center
- Court Announces Intent to Adopt Many New Rules of Professional Conduct and Schedules Several Proposed Rules for Argument
- Amended Report of the Supreme Judicial Court's Ad Hoc Committee on Bosch Litigation (Adopted by the SJC on October 1, 2014)
Read more news
Supreme Judicial Court Offices
- Clerk's Office for the Commonwealth
The Office of the Clerk for the Commonwealth maintains the docket and calendar for the Supreme Judicial Court full bench, attends sessions of the full court, maintains the docket, processes pertinent filings, serves as the court's liaison to parties or their counsel and is the keeper of the records.
- Clerk's Office for The County of Suffolk
The Clerk's Office for the County of Suffolk is primarily responsible for the single justice caseload of the Supreme Judicial Court, matters filed by the Board of Bar Overseers pertaining to attorney discipline and administrative matters affecting members of the bar, and matters relating to admission to the Bar and the practice of law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Office of the Reporter of Decisions
The Office of the Reporter of Decisions publishes and maintains the official written opinions of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the Appeals Court.
- Public Information Office
The Public Information Office of the Supreme Judicial Court is the central communications office for media and public inquiries and requests concerning the Massachusetts judicial branch.