On April 29, Supreme Judicial Court Chief Justice Ralph D. Gants, and SJC Justices Margot Botsford and Geraldine S. Hines each spoke to high school students who participated in Law Day activities at the John Adams Courthouse. They talked about their experiences as judges and the role of the appellate courts within the Judicial Branch. Pictured with students in this photo is Justice Botsford (center) Click here to read more.
The Supreme Judicial Court is the Commonwealth's highest appellate court. It consists of a Chief Justice and six Associate Justices. The seven Justices hear appeals on a broad range of criminal and civil cases from September through May and issue written opinions that are posted online. Learn more about the Court.
News & Announcements
- Supreme Judicial Court Standing Committee Now Accepting 2016 Adams Pro Bono Publico Awards Nominations
- Massachusetts Ranks Second in Nation in Justice Index Measuring Access to Justice
- Special Remarks in Honor of the Retiring Supreme Judicial Court Justices
- Pro Bono Honor Roll materials for calendar year 2015 now available
- Information about New Massachusetts Code of Judicial Conduct (effective Jan. 1, 2016)
Read more news
Supreme Judicial Court Offices
- Clerk's Office for the Commonwealth
The Office of the Clerk for the Commonwealth maintains the docket and calendar for the Supreme Judicial Court full bench, attends sessions of the full court, maintains the docket, processes pertinent filings, serves as the court's liaison to parties or their counsel and is the keeper of the records.
- Clerk's Office for The County of Suffolk
The Clerk's Office for the County of Suffolk is primarily responsible for the single justice caseload of the Supreme Judicial Court, matters filed by the Board of Bar Overseers pertaining to attorney discipline and administrative matters affecting members of the bar, and matters relating to admission to the Bar and the practice of law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Office of the Reporter of Decisions
The Office of the Reporter of Decisions publishes and maintains the official written opinions of the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and the Appeals Court.
- Public Information Office
The Public Information Office of the Supreme Judicial Court is the central communications office for media and public inquiries and requests concerning the Massachusetts judicial branch.