About the Program
MassDEP Sustainable Materials Recovery Program (SMRP) Municipal Grants offer funding to cities, towns and regional entities - as well as certain non-profit organizations that provide services to them - for recycling, composting, reuse and source reduction activities that will increase diversion of municipal solid waste and household hazardous waste from disposal. Grants are available for recycling and composting equipment; mattress recycling; Pay-As-You-Throw programs; waste reduction enforcement; school recycling; and organics capacity development projects. SMRP funding is also available for SMRP Recycling Dividends Program (RDP) payments to qualifying cities and towns. MassDEP accepts applications between early April and mid June annually.
How & When to Apply
Applying for a Sustainable Materials Recovery Program (SMRP) Municipal Grant:
- Review the Application Guidance
The SMRP Municipal Grant Application Guidance provides critical information on SMRP Municipal Grants including eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, and how grant funds may be used.
- Play Back a Grant Information Webinar
MassDEP hosted two Sustainable Materials Recovery Program (SMRP) Grant webinars in April 2016:
Webinar 1: Grant Opportunities for Municipalities with Drop-Off Programs
Play Back Here | Download the Presentation
Webinar 2: Grant Opportunities for Municipalities with Curbside Programs
Play Back Here | Download the Presentation
- Verify That You Meet Minimum Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must certify that they have "buy recycled" by-laws, ordinances or policies in place; indicate whether their purchasing function is centralized or decentralized; certify that everyone with purchasing authority is aware of the "buy recycled" requirement and reminded of it annually; and attach a copy of this communication.
- Before submitting a grant application, municipal applicants must have completed MassDEP Municipal Solid Waste & Recycling Surveys for calendar years 2014 and 2015 at Re-TRAC Connect™. Regional and non-profit applicants must certify that each municipality to be served by the grant proposal has filed these documents.
- Municipal applicants with unspent Recycling Dividends Program (RDP) funds or who were awarded in the previous calendar year must report prior year expenditures and RDP Funds balances via Re-TRAC Connect™.
- Municipal applicants must certify that they have active recycling programs that provide recycling containers for paper, cans and bottles in all offices and meeting spaces in all municipal buildings. All other applicants are required to certify that they have active programs providing for office recycling of paper, cans and bottles.
- Complete & Submit a Grant Application
- The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, June 15, 2016. Applications have to be submitted electronically online via Re-TRAC Connect™, an online reporting tool. MassDEP does not accept applications in any other format.
- A Re-TRAC Connect™ account has been established for each municipality. If you have forgotten your account login, contact Janine Delaney.
- Regional authority and non-profit applicants without established accounts first need to "Register" with Re-TRAC Connect™ and then "Join" the MassDEP program no later than two weeks before the grant application deadline. See the Re-TRAC Connect™ User Guide file size 1MB file size 1MB for details.
- Waste Reduction & Organics Capacity Projects: Mandatory Proposal Outline
If you are requesting funds for Waste Reduction or Organics Capacity projects, the Re-TRAC Connect™ system will prompt you to attach a written proposal, which must conform to this outline. MassDEP strongly encourages applicants to contact Brooke Nash before developing their proposals, to discuss project concepts.
- School Recycling Assistance: Commitment Letter Template
If you are requesting School Recycling Assistance, you will need to submit a letter of commitment, further described in the SMRP Municipal Grant Application Guidance . This template is provided to help you compose that letter. If you have questions about School Recycling Assistance or the template, contact Ann McGovern.
- School Recycling Assistance: Sample Recycling Policy Template
If awarded a grant, the School Committee or District must pass a mandatory School Recycling policy, further described in the SMRP Municipal Grant Application Guidance . An applicant whose policy has been adopted at the time of grant application submittal will be favorably evaluated. If you have questions about School Recycling Assistance or this template, contact Ann McGovern.
- Reference Copy of SMRP Municipal Grant Application - 2016 file size 4MB
This is provided for reference only. Do not attempt to submit this reference version in any format. MassDEP does NOT accept applications submitted by mail, fax or email attachment. Applications must be submitted via Re-TRAC Connect™.
Grant Application Timeline
- April 2016: MassDEP releases SMRP grant application.
- June 15, 2016: Municipalities, regional entities & non-profits must apply by this date.
- September 2016: MassDEP announces grant awards.
- List of 2016 First Round Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, September 2016
- List of 2015 Second Round Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, November 2015
- List of 2015 First Round Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, September 2015
- List of 2014 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2014
- List of 2014 Recycling Dividends Program Awards, September 2014
- List of 2013 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2013
- List of 2012 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2012
- List of 2011 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2011
- List of 2010 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2010
Contacts for Help
- SMRP Municipal Grants & Eligibility
Tina Klein at 617-292-5704 or email@example.com
- Submitting Applications Using the Re-TRAC Connect™ System
Janine Delaney at 617-348-4004 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Recycling Assistance Grants
Ann McGovern at 617-292-5834 or email@example.com
- Mattress Recycling Incentive
Lydia Meintel-Wade at 617-556-1011 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other Information & Questions
Contact the MassDEP Municipal Assistance Coordinator for your part of the state.