About the Program
MassDEP Sustainable Materials Recovery Program (SMRP) Municipal Grants offer funding to cities, towns and regional entities - as well as certain non-profit organizations that provide services to them - for recycling, composting, reuse and source reduction activities that will increase diversion of municipal solid waste and household hazardous waste from disposal. Grants are available for recycling and composting equipment; Pay-As-You-Throw programs; waste reduction enforcement; school recycling; and organics capacity development projects. MassDEP accepts applications between early April and mid June annually.
How & When to Apply
Applying for a Sustainable Materials Recovery Program (SMRP) Municipal Grant:
- Review the Application Guidance
The SMRP Municipal Grant Application Guidance provides critical information on SMRP Municipal Grants including eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, and how grant funds may be used.
- Attend a Grant Information Session
MassDEP will present six information sessions across the state. See the schedule below.
- Verify That You Meet Minimum Eligibility Criteria
- Applicants must certify that they have "buy recycled" by-laws, ordinances or policies in place; indicate whether their purchasing function is centralized or decentralized; and certify that everyone with purchasing authority is aware of the "buy recycled" requirement and reminded of it annually.
- Before submitting a grant application, municipal applicants must have completed MassDEP Municipal Solid Waste & Recycling Surveys for calendar years 2013 and 2014 at Re-TRAC Connect™. Regional and non-profit applicants must certify that each municipality to be served by the grant proposal has filed these documents.
- Municipal applicants with unspent Recycling Dividends Program (RDP) funds or who were awarded in the previous calendar year must report prior year expenditures and RDP Funds balances via Re-TRAC Connect™.
- Municipal applicants must certify that they have active recycling programs that provide recycling containers for paper, cans and bottles in all offices and meeting spaces in all municipal buildings. All other applicants are required to certify that they have active programs providing for office recycling of paper, cans and bottles.
- Complete & Submit a Grant Application
- The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, June 10, 2015. Applications have to be submitted electronically online via Re-TRAC Connect™, an online reporting tool. MassDEP does not accept applications in any other format.
- A Re-TRAC Connect™ account has been established for each municipality. If you have forgotten your account login, contact Tina Klein.
- Regional authority and non-profit applicants without established accounts first need to "Register" with Re-TRAC Connect™ and then "Join" the MassDEP program no later than two weeks before the grant application deadline. See the Re-TRAC Connect™ User Guide file size 1MB file size 1MB for details.
- Waste Reduction & Organics Capacity Projects: Mandatory Proposal Outline
If you are requesting funds for Waste Reduction or Organics Capacity projects, the Re-TRAC Connect™ system will prompt you to attach a written proposal, which must conform to this outline. MassDEP strongly encourages applicants to contact Brooke Nash before developing their proposals, to discuss project concepts.
- School Recycling Assistance: Commitment Letter Template
If you are requesting School Recycling Assistance, you will need to submit a letter of commitment, further described in the SMRP Municipal Grant Application Guidance . This template is provided to help you compose that letter. If you have questions about School Recycling Assistance or the template, contact Ann McGovern.
- School Recycling Assistance: Sample Recycling Policy Template
If awarded a grant, the School Committee or District must pass a mandatory School Recycling policy, further described in the SMRP Municipal Grant Application Guidance . An applicant whose policy has been adopted at the time of grant application submittal will be favorably evaluated. If you have questions about School Recycling Assistance or this template, contact Ann McGovern.
- Reference Copy of SMRP Municipal Grant Application - 2015 file size 3MB
This is provided for reference only. Do not attempt to submit this reference version in any format. MassDEP does NOT accept applications submitted by mail, fax or email attachment. Applications must be submitted via Re-TRAC Connect™.
- Re-TRAC Connect™ User Guide file size 1MB
file size 1MB
How to create and activate a new account, login to the system, and submit a grant application.
Grant Information Sessions
MassDEP presented six two-hour information sessions on the Sustainable Materials Recovery Program (SMRP) Municipal Grant program in spring 2015. The workshops focused on changes to the grant program including a new grant offering, the Carpet and Mattress Recycling Incentive; changes to the Recycling Dividends Program, which is now in its second year; minimum eligibility criteria; and a review of all grant categories.
If you were unable to attend, please see: Presentation: SMRP Municipal Grants file size 1MB file size 2MB
Grant Application Timeline
- April 2015: MassDEP releases SMRP grant application.
- June 10, 2015: Municipalities, regional entities & non-profits must apply by this date.
- September 2015: MassDEP announces grant awards.
- List of 2015 Second Round Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, November 2015
- List of 2015 First Round Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, September 2015
- List of 2014 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2014
- List of 2014 Recycling Dividends Program Awards, September 2014
- List of 2013 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2013
- List of 2012 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2012
- List of 2011 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2011
- List of 2010 Municipal/Regional Grant Awards, October 2010
Contacts for Help
- SMRP Municipal Grants & Eligibility
Tina Klein at 617-292-5704 or email@example.com
- Submitting Applications Using the Re-TRAC Connect™ System
Tina Klein at 617-292-5704 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Recycling Assistance Grants
Ann McGovern: 617-292-5834 or email@example.com
- New: Carpet & Mattress Recycling Incentive
Brooke Nash: 617-292-5984 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Other Information & Questions
Contact the MassDEP Municipal Assistance Coordinator for your part of the state.