Most recent update: April 9, 2014.
In 2012, the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA) created the Sustainable Water Management Advisory Committee comprised of a wide range of stakeholders, and supported by staff from the Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP), the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) , and the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). Working with the Water Management Act Advisory Committee and the Water Resources Commission, the Committee advised EEA and its agencies on the development of a water allocation program that examined solutions to satisfying water needs while recognizing ecological issues such as low streamflow.
On November 29, 2012, EEA released Sustainable Water Management Initiative: Final Framework . A precursor to the revision of regulations under the Water Management Act, the framework represents over two years of dedicated research, stakeholder input, and public outreach.
SWMI Interactive GIS Map
When viewed, the interactive GIS map will display biological categories, groundwater withdrawal categories, and net groundwater depletion data layers that were developed through the SWMI process for the Massachusetts Water Indicators (MWI) 1400-scale subbasins. By clicking on the map image below, the map viewer will launch in another browser window.
Water Management Act Permitting Tool (WMA Tool)
Water Management Act permitting requires that new groundwater sources and/or increases in groundwater withdrawals from existing sources be evaluated for impact to streamflow. The WMA Permitting Tool, in conjunction with the SWMI interactive map, is for use by Public Water Suppliers (PWS), consultants, watershed groups, government agencies and others to evaluate the impact of groundwater withdrawals. In order to correctly use this tool, you must download the file to your desktop. To do this, right-mouse click on the file and "save target as..". A window will open so you can target where you would like to save the file. WMA Permitting Tool file size 6MB
US Geological Survey Reports & Data
- USGS Report: Massachusetts Sustainable Yield Estimator
- USGS Report: Indicators of Streamflow Alteration, Habitat Fragmentation, Impervious Cover, and Water Quality for Massachusetts Stream Basins (revised 2012)
- USGS Report: Factors Influencing Riverine Fish Assemblages in Massachusetts (2011)
- USGS Report: Local and Cumulative Impervious Cover of MA Stream Basins
- SYE Water Use Locational Data file size 2MB
- Sustainable Yield Estimator's Water Use Points Database file size 2MB
MassDEP and MA Division of Fisheries & Wildlife Data
- Regression Equation Solver April 2014
- GWC Calculator April 2014
- Groundwater Withdrawal Categories Statewide Map file size 1MB
- Biological Category Statewide Map file size 2MB
- Net Groundwater Depletion Statewide Map file size 1MB
- Division of Fisheries & Wildlife Fish Data (MS Excel)
- SWMI GIS Data Downloads
- March 2014 DFW Coldwater Fishery Resources GIS Files file size 6MB